penciling bridges on socket T'bird...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: penciling bridges on socket T'bird...

penciling bridges on socket T'bird...

hi all!
    friend is picking up a socket 800 t'bird with a 900 core, everything i read says you have to grind the bridges before using the pencil thing which is a scary thought. how are you doing this when i read somebody's post here with no mention of grinding the bridges. are the dots conductive or non-conductive? we were just puzzled about it when nobody mentioned it.

would the silver conductor pen be better than the pencil if you wanted to do it right? i would think so. TIA

you'll find quite a few topics on this in "CPUs".
    You don't need to grind any bridges.
    Just make sure all the L1's are closed (Then you need a mobo that has multiplier settings.)
    The conductive pen is a bit better but not worth the extra cost...
    IC bus, TO3 case, P4 CPU.

SDS big thanks for clearing that up we were puzzled.

Rangeral, what motherboard do you have? If the motherboard supports overclocking, all you have to do is trace the L1 bridges with a pencil, no grinding required. Since these bridges handle very little voltage and practically no current, cheap pencil graphite is a perfectly fine electrical solution

However, if your motherboard is locked, the other method *does* require some grinding. To change the burned-in multiplier on the T-Bird, you have to break some bridges and connect some others. It also helps to know just what those bridges are. Basically, they're just a small strip of aluminum that are all connected when the chip is first processed. After it's benchmarked to determine grade, a high-powered laser blasts away the middle of the bridge on some, giving it a binary code and locking in multiplier, voltage and FSB. Since you don't have a high-powered laser with 100um accuracy, I'd reccomend using an engraving tool to cut the bridges. Make sure you only cut the very center, because you need to be able to have the end posts to use graphite/conductive ink to- use a magnifying glass on a hands-free stand, or a dissecting microscope and make sure you don't screw yourself! If you're going to play around, you should probably go and break all the bridges first, then use a pencil & eraser to modify the settings after that.

------------------
    Asus A7V
    Duron 650@850@1.80V
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

If you're going to cut&connect bridges, I'd suggest getting the conductive pen.

I had to draw the L1 lines several times with a regular pencil before it fully worked. That doesn't sound like something I'd wanna gamble on with the actual multiplier and voltage bridges :/
    "No doubt the truth, as usual, would be somewhere between the extremes" -Arthur C Clarke

If you are cheeeeeep like me, you can get a free sample of micro silver conductive pen, and silver grease for heatsink. at www.chemtronics.com
    you fill out the questions and mine just showed up today. It's time to overclock my T-Bird 750 and KT7.

Grover, my friend is probably working on it now rebuilding his whole sys brought his older parts to the shop today which he's gonna trade his 500 k6-2 to my son for his 400, he got a tyan trinity kt133 s2390, eventual 200 fsb with VT8363 and VT82C686A chipsets released aug.24 northbridge chipset is different than the 2380 and with no reviews at any of the sites yet i can't tell if its unlocked, should find out later today when i go down to the shop being as how his flashcom dsl has electricity in it.

as to whether it worked or not. believe he's going to leave the voltage alone we'll see about that.

thanks all for the advice.

Those are the chips on my KT7 and this thing screams. My memory scores are excellent!
    472 mb/sec
    546 mb/sec at 860 Mhz. 8.5 x 10 + 1Mhz bus bump.
    Oh, and man are those L1 bridges small. I used a piece of paper to test out my Not Micro enough conductive pen.

if all goes well with his i'll consider buying it myself good for a testbed, had a few problems with kx133 little while ago which is why i suggested to try the kt133 instead, didn't feel like going thru that again but were finding out with further testing that 900 athlon we used may have been defective same problems showing up again with other hardware.

Thread Information