Duron 600mhz OvaClocking, wit Abit KT7 mb?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Duron 600mhz OvaClocking, wit Abit KT7 mb?

Hybrid View

Duron 600mhz OvaClocking, wit Abit KT7 mb?

Hey guys, need some help to ova clock this combo i gotz for my new computer. i would like to ova clock my cpu to at around 750 to 800mhz. what sould i do to reach this goal? i have a LARGE size heat sink and im pretty familiar with FSB, core voltage and CLock x settings. What is the best way to over clock this combo? I understand some AMD Durons where shiped without the clock x locked? and if mine is not locked, is changeing the clock x the best way to overclock it? or is FSB the way to go? TY guyz, please give me a response and a start off point... give me the first few steps to proceed, because im sort of a newbie to the OV clocking community. =)

Some useful info about o/c'ing the Duron:

1. Week 23 and earlier Durons have unlocked multipliers, so if you have the right motherboards you can easily o/c it. Week 24 and after have the L1 bridges on the Duron cut, so you will have to reconnect them with a graphite pencil to unlock the multipliers. It looks like the very latest Durons have the L1 bridges removed so you cannot unlock them this way anymore. So, it depends on your luck for which Duron you have.
    2. I would start o/c'ing your Duron by changing the multiplier first (while keeping FSB at 100). Try for 700Mhz (7.0x) at default voltage. Then slowly increase the multiplier, checking to see if your system is stable.
    3. At some point, you may need to bump up the voltage. Also, after some time (couple of days) at this higher voltage, you may be able to lower your voltage while remaining at the same speed. This will reduce stress on your CPU and heat as well.
    4. Durons/Athlons are not very good at FSB overclocking, so you're not likely to go far beyond 100Mhz (105-110 maybe the limit).

I have my Duron 600 (week 21, unlocked) running at 800Mhz (8.0x, 100FSB, 1.7V). After some burn-in I will go higher (still have room for increased voltage too). Btw, am using the Asus A7V motherboard with PC133 RAM (CAS3 I think, not sure).
    OCN Hellspawns Genome Team
    TeamID: 567443298

Silver | Dark Genome FAQ | Top 100 Teams Stats

Thankz,that was exactly what i was looking for. but one more question... my heatsink and fan is just the regular one my store gave me, is ur fan a "bigger, stronger" one? meaning did you go out and get another fan for it? or modified your own? i have plenty of room around my cpu and "above it"... so i can attach maybe a bigger heat sink and fan to it? please give me your suggestion once again. Thankz a dozen. =)

It is always possible that you can overclock your duron using the standard heatsink/fan but these Durons and thunderbirds produce a lot of heat so its usually better to get a really nice heatsink/fan. The best one I have seen so far is the ALpha PAl6035. This is a really popular heatsink and can be hard to find. It got my Duron 600 running at 900mhz.

Ohh, aug1516... can you maybe send me a link or a post a pic on how it looks? Is it for cooling alpha processors? because i would like to have an idea. thankz.

duaux, I used the Alpha PH6035 heatsink (originally meant for my Celeron 500, but it fit my Duron just fine). Got it from www.3dfxcool.com but I think they have a different name (Alpha 7HO I believe) for it. As aug1516 said, the standard heatsink/fan would probably be ok if you don't o/c the CPU, but the AMD chips produce a lot of heat, so you will want to get decent cooling for overclocking.

Btw, "Alpha" is the brand of the heatsink, and its not related (AFAIK) to alpha processors.
    OCN Hellspawns Genome Team
    TeamID: 567443298

Silver | Dark Genome FAQ | Top 100 Teams Stats

Thread Information