Do the designers of motherboards actually use them???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Do the designers of motherboards actually use them???

Do the designers of motherboards actually use them???

I am currently getting very annoyed with my current motherboard!!!

Until yesterday i was using a water cooled peltier, NOT NOW it decided to leak everywhere, luckily everything still works so i figure ive chanced it once im not trying it again (well give me a week or 2 and ill be using it again!!!)

So now i'm thinking air(its all ive got left) well my lovely abit be6-II (great functions VERY POOR design) has no space whatso ever to actually fit anything on it even my alpha takes up 2 of the 3 memory slots, so im currently tring to build a sideways cooler using the alpha heatsink and posibly a 120mm fan to try and cool this huk of junk.

Any ideas???

So finally to answer my question does anybody know why the designs are so bad why is the powersupply lead right where the ram should be out of the way of the behind the processor and heatsink??? and the chipset why is that under the heatsink as well???

Is it a quest against everybody to see how much stuff the can get in the way of a decent heatsink??? or is it me being tetchy after 36 hours without sleep???

It's a matter of cutting costs and improving performance with a smaller PCB size and shorter trace lengths. Of course this has led to some designers making the same mistakes over and over again on their mobos.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

You also have to take politics into account. Intel wants to get into bed with anti-OCing mobo manufacturers. This is an added bonus for them. Sucks for us.

------------------
    My other OS is a Linux
    Windows:

Windows Is Not Demented, Overrated Sh!t

(stupid 200 chars max...)

Then you have the likes of TMC with th AI5VG+. 5 PCI Slots, GREAT, but no, there is the CPU right behind them meaning you've only got 1 which is full length, no Voodoo2's in SLI here.

------------------
    Look out!!
    My train of thought is a runaway!!
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

I ran V2s SLI on an AI5VG+....took a bit of bending and I had to mount the heatsink 3/4 on the CPU, but it worked . No such problems with my Tyan 100AT...it's a bit of a beast.

MuFu.
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

your name still cracks me up!!! and a fellow brit what more could anyone ask for!!!

Thread Information