Prime95???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Prime95???

Prime95???

Lets start a discussion(hehe).
    Prime95 is some mathematical stuff, right? But what does it do to my CPU and how does it fair up as a stability test?
    Here's the download:
    http://www.entropia.com/ips/index.html

If you run the Prime95 torture test it is VERY cpu intensive.

------------------
    Mike
    www.monster-machines.com
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

So the best way to figure out whether your CPU is stable at a certain speed running this torture test is... well, the way to do it?

I have a Celeron 366 clocked at 550 MHz. Should I run the test? I just got it from http://www.sunshinestar.com/ Should I run this test? Huh! Huh! Huh! Tell me please!

------------------
    "It is now safe to turn off your computer"

? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Yes you should, If you overclocked your cpu you should run it for several hours, after that maybe you can join the search

Toolbox, the effect that Prime 95 has on testing stability is it works your CPU at 100%. That elevates the temps of your CPU to the maximum it reaches. If the maximum is (for example) 60C, your system may become unstable and crash/hang. If it's only 37C it may run it without a hitch for hours.

For utmost system stability (overall stability), I would recommending testing with SETI@Home, 3DMark 2000, UT and QIII because these appz/games bring in the additional effects of your graphics subsystem, memory subsystem and disk I/O subsystem. Stressing only one part of your PC may give a false impression of stability.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

I used to use Prime95 a lot - ran the torturw test for like 3 days solid. BUt got totally sick of it in the end because it takes so long just do do one WU - like about two months. I mean come on, all it's got to do is determine whether the number you're testing is a prime number; I could set Excel up to do that and I'm sure it wouldn't take two months.

There's just no sense of gratification involved , so I switched to Seti.. 6 hrs vs 2 mths - I know which I prefer. Besides you feel like you're doing something useful - oohh a new prime number, big wop.

As far as the torture test goes, yeah it's great for testing CPU stability, so I'd leave it on when you go out & stuff, otherwise when you're home just play UT or QIII like S-Klass mentioned. You get to enjoy it then .

------------------
    Nay though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will f*** up all those who piss me off

Thread Information