SocketA L1 Bridge: Easy, Very easy, or super-ridiculously easy?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: SocketA L1 Bridge: Easy, Very easy, or super-ridiculously easy?

SocketA L1 Bridge: Easy, Very easy, or super-ridiculously easy?

After Tom at http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q3/000711/index.html showed us what to do with the L1 bridges on an AMD Duron or Thunderbird chip to unlock it, and Wesley at http://myhome.netsgo.com/wesleycrushr/Hardware/ told us we could do it with a pencil (props!) So, I immediately set about with a pencil in insufficient light on an unstable surface. Wesly took a good 30 seconds/L1 bridge. I think I gave the entire job about 20 seconds. At any rate, I didn't put much graphite down and colored outside the lines and it worked just fine. I got to thinking- does it really matter if we cross the L1 bridges with each other? I mean, they're all either pull-up or pull-down, and electrically it shouldn't matter if they're all shorted together. By that chain of reasoning, it wouldn't even matter if we got graphite over the other L bridges either, because with the OC boards, that data isn't used.

I know some people are scared to try this because the L1 bridges are so tiny, and a lot of people are intimidated by just the thought it of. For their sake, I wanted to ask everyone who did it, just how little effort did you put into the bridges, how sloppy was it, and has anyone actually *failed* to unlock their SocketA on the first try?
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

well, sorry to burst your bubble on that, mine was actually even easier I did not have to do absolutely squat, to get it to overclock, and overclock it did indeed
    OK so it's a HOT little CPU at 1.85(which is actually 1.92v), but I'm not afraid. I'll CHILL it's teeny little square ***.....

------------------
    Go ahead...... lick my BLOCK
    My page is here now.(Sorry for the popup banner there)
    This is my website

Yo Rotor?

How hot does your chip get? I just put together a Duron 700 and it runs between 110 and 120 degrees F at default speed. If my OCed celeron gets up to 120 it starts to get unstable. Just wondering if these chips seem to be okay at these high temps or if I should get better cooling.

thanx,

Luds-

I did it, then got a magnifying glass and the correct lighting angle and it was perfect. I have mine unlocked but it is too hot to overclock. Using an Alpha I get 43c. Maybe in the winter I will go higher
    It said "requires Windows 95 or better," so I installed Linux.

heh, rotor My Duron 650 is at 850MHz@1.80v, and the temp runs runs about 53C/127F. It's hotter than I'd like it, but I'm comfortable with it where it is- if it lasts a year, I'll be happy. And if it doesn't? Well, that's just a good excuse to upgrade!!

The chip ran about 50C unoverclocked, and I had to replace the side of my case with a 20" box fan to keep the temp reasonable. (Advice for the cheap- $10 at Wal-Mart will get ya a really high CFM fan to keep that mobo cool )
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

Link

Some bad news for TBird people

We received some CPUs from AMD (T-bird), and we found
    that the multiplier change function (the pin) has been removed. If this will be the same to all up-coming AMD Tbirds, the on-board multiplier change switch will be deemed to be useless. You can test it again for new AMD CPU.
    Athlon 1Ghz AXIA Stepping
    Abit KT7a Rev1
    256mb generic
    CL GTS 32ddr
    Vortex 2 (2048)
    GXP60 20Gbytes

Originally posted by Luds:
    Yo Rotor?

How hot does your chip get? I just put together a Duron 700 and it runs between 110 and 120 degrees F at default speed. If my OCed celeron gets up to 120 it starts to get unstable. Just wondering if these chips seem to be okay at these high temps or if I should get better cooling.

thanx,

Luds-
    I got an A7V with 800 Thunderbird (unlocked but not overclocked). My cooling setup is pretty much optimal: got a 90 mm fan sucking cool air outside the case and blowing at the base of my PAL 6035 heatsink, the VIA chip heatsink, and my DIMM slots. Then I got the PAL 6035 sucking, and a baffle over the top of the fan so the incoming air doesn't interfere with the exhaust. So the cooling runs a loop. Little variation in temp. with this setup: runs at 47 C at idle and at 49 (rarely see 50) while gaming. The chip is probably a little hotter since I have my sensor on the heatsink as close to the chip as possible, but not touching the chip.

A cooling expert told me the Athlons run hot, and no way you will get 30-40 C like the Intels unless you are running water cooling or Peltier. 40-50 are great temps., 50-65 what you would get with half-way decent cooling. Remember the Asus board has an 86 C alarm point for the CPU, and someone said the Duron is good up to 70 according to AMD.

Now the GeForce chips run hot! I did some checking with a digital temp probe and the chip itself was running 57 C, the stock heatsink and fan (very ineffective) 54, and the AIR beneath the fan 47. Heck, the fins on my PAL 6035 was around 34. The memory chips on the GeForce card was 34, same as the heatsink on my VIA MB chip. Room temp was 29 C.

I'm putting a Tennmax fan and sink on my GeForce, although I got it to run 47 C now by putting an 80 mm fan 3" away and blowing air out the open PCI slot beneath it.

But what the heck, the Durons are so cheap now they are practically disposable. Heck, I bought my 800 TB for $270 in Akihabara, Tokyo. A week later they were selling an 850 for $240.

As for AMD neutering that Thunderbird chip, good thing I got an OEM early. All I did was take a 15X magnifying lope and examined the chips before I bought them, since the lots are out on display in the stores here in Akihabara. Only looked at two places before buying, and both lots were unlocked. But that was 2 weeks ago.

well, I have allready had it at +3c full load, I'm still working on the insulation, as you all know, and it's getting along realy nicely, if I'm not stress-testing it, it hovers at about +15c [978Mhz and 1.85v]

I will soon switch over to a Drift0.8 in the peltier-block, that will get me to about -15c full load core temp, I hope

------------------
    My page is here now.(Sorry for the popup banner there)
    This is my website

Thread Information