Plugging 4-pin fans "in a row" ??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Plugging 4-pin fans "in a row" ??

Hybrid View

Plugging 4-pin fans "in a row" ??

Allright im gonna get 4 4-pin fans (80mm) for my ASUS A7V and AOpen HQ08 FullTower. Now how will I plug the fan connectors into eachother so I can put as many 4-pin fans as I want through that "rowing"-thing? I mean, you put the 4-pin connectors to the power supply, right?

I would appreciate it very higly if someone could make a simple pic or something.

[This message has been edited by VanDamage (edited 08-21-2000).]

My fans came with a Y adapter, so when you plug one in, there is still a slot to plug another one in right there. If not you can just buy a Y adapter.
    -ram
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..

Okay, here goes:
    Yellow= 12v
    Black next to yellow= -12v
    Black next to red= -5v
    red= 5v

Yeah, just plug it into the psu.

------------------
    My other OS is a Linux
    Windows:

Windows Is Not Demented, Overrated Sh!t

(stupid 200 chars max...)

The P/S is the power supply, it will come with "pigtails" with various connectors. Most will have an ATX connector for the Mobo, a floppy drive power connector(s), and lots of 4 pin multipurpose connectors that supply either 12v or 5v depending on which pins are choosen.

In the case of the fans you would plug one into one of the 4 pin connectors on one of the "pigtails". The "double" connector on the fan is called a "pass through" it provides another connector (in parallel) that is the same as the original connector on the pigtail, the end result is that you don't lose any connections.
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

Thanks alot guys, it helped pretty much!
    However, I would be very appreciateful if someone could make a pic anyways... since ive never dealed with fans etc, and im a beginner at this.

How do I make 17 volts?
    -ram
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..

OK, look at the picture below. The power supply cable plugs into the male end on the first fan (the one with pins) the male end on the second fan plugs into the left over female end on the first fan. This leaves a female end on the second fan that the male end on the third fan plugs into. This leaves a female end on the third fan that male end of the forth fan plugs into.

It just continues like that, male to female with always one female end leftover for the next device/fan to plug into.

If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

Maxout, you're the man!! Thanks ALOT man!!

Thread Information