High School Student Needs Your Help! (Sound Insulation)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: High School Student Needs Your Help! (Sound Insulation)

High School Student Needs Your Help! (Sound Insulation)

Hey -

Yeah I'm still in high school. So I live with my parents and MY computer is in my dad's study room place thingee. Anyways, I have a few system fans and an Alpha cooler running and it's just too dang loud for him.

I have an Antec KS-188 case. I need to know what I can use to insulate it to drown some of the sound out.

Thanks,
    Casey
    HWC's poor high school student
    Athy 700@950, 1.85v, KA7-100
    Home-built Plexiglas case w/300w p/s
    ATi 64MB Radeon VIVO & All-in-wonder Pro 8MB
    Sound Blaster Live! Platinum w/ Klipsch Promedias
    Pioneer 10X DVD-ROM and Ricoh 8X/4X/32X CD-RW
    IBM 34.2GB 7200RPM hard drive
    256MB Crucial PC-133

If you got more cooling on the system and its there for a reason then wouldnt insulating that case make it really hot inside?? i wouldnt isulate my case if i was trying to keep it at an average temp, try removing fans if you can instead??? i dunno someone else please input
    T-bird 750@1100mhz
    KT7-r
    512megs PC133@cas2
    30Gig IBM
    Leadtek GF2u
    SbLive!
    www.CrackedForum.com

To get your case quiet your going to have to do one thing, get quieter fans. These fans spin at a lower RPM but are pretty dang quiet. Forget insulation, the only thing it will do is make your case heavier.

[This message has been edited by LaoChe (edited 08-19-2000).]

Don't worry about being a high school student, I still am as well... we are all poor but at least I can have my computer in my room . About the sound,what you can do is line the inside with carpet, just somehow affix it too all the place you can basically on the inside wall (<-wrong word) of the case. For your fans, I would put a strip of some sort of insulator between the fan and the case where you have it screwed in, to damp that vibration. A website I saw recently used a sort of weather stripping, but personally i would rip up and old towel and use little strips of that . Well hope that helped.

Oh yeah, I guess all that applies to a short changed high school student, but if you have money, you can get the stuff dynamat at any auto shop, someone on HWC has told me about that, and use it in place of the carpet, and id get the weather stripping for the fans.
    -ram
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..

One kind of "insulation" that will work are those vibration dampening pads for cars and carstereo freaks...it's quite heavy but I have the whole case covered up inside with it...works quite good... get the black, thin thingie... look in any store where they sell parts for cars and/or carstereo components...

------------------
    I Thougth I Saw A Putty Cat...
    * OCN Hellspawn *
    ------------------
    I Thougth I Saw A Putty Cat...

rammybus, can you give us the link to that website?
    "The Geek shall inherit the Earth." - Linus 5:5

Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..

Hmm no one is ever going to use my idea of instafoam huh. Cheap canspray it where you want and can remove excess with a butter knife. Great invention and I do use it and my case temperature only went up 2 degrees
    Peanut butter and jelly is good for my belly

If you want 'professional' sound dampening material like Dynamat or Roadkill (asphalt based) but don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it, click here for a site that has that stuff for $1 per sq ft compared to $3 - 4 per sq ft for Dynamat. It's self adhesive on one side and can be cut to suit any case.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

hey penguin, we got the same name except i spell it the short way

CHEAPEST SOLUTION: buy your dad a pair of earplugs. or if he's really old, turn down his miracle ear.

S_Klass:

Geez!...I don't know where you come up with all these finds! Great work as usual!

though, it looks like the minimum order is at 9 square feet. (still only 9$US)

I actually ordered something like this before (from another outfit), but they rolled it up when shipping, and came all cracked when I received it. I think I'll try this one.

be warned, this thing smells like asphalt (cause that's what its made of)

good stuff & cheap!

------------------
    ...Everyone should taste a little bitterness in their lives....
    ...everyone should taste a little bitterness in their lives....

Glad to be of service Mao!

The only draw back I can see to ordering from them is it takes about 6 business days to get it (via air). So order well in advance. Other then that, the stuff is great. I juz ordered another 25 sq ft a full tower and some spare.

------------------

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

Thread Information