popin the cap off a k6-2??any faster?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: popin the cap off a k6-2??any faster?

popin the cap off a k6-2??any faster?

i've heard that peeps are popin the top on k6-2's and stuff..any performance/temp difference? what's under the cap? and how difficult is it to take off? i've got an old k6-2 300@333 but no post at 75mhz bus...(375)
    its on a soyo sy-5ed....any help would be cool...thnx

I took the top off of my K6-3 400 about a month ago. I used a flathead screwdriver to pry it off but i wouldnt recommend doing that. I cracked the corner but it still worked. The actual CPU is under the hood, looks just like the pictures you see of the AMD thunderbirds. I didnt see a big difference it temp. maybe 1-3 degress less. In my opinion it is not worth the risk. But if you decide to pop it off, the only thing holding it on is 4 little spots of glue, 1 on each corner.
    T-Bird 800@1071 1.85V
    Asus A7V-ThermoEngine w/38CFM
    512M Kingmax PC150
    19" Sony Trinitron G400
    17" Gateway Monitor
    2 Vid Cards
    SBL! Platinum
    Desktop Theater 2500 5.1 Digital

You would be better off getting a used super seven somewhere. That chip should do a 100FSB and a 3x mult and still be loads faster than the 333 you are running now!!

If you would like to try it though, up the voltage a hair and see if the 75FSB boots! You will most likely need better cooling, those chips run a little warm! If it don't boot, back off the mult some! The faster bus at similar Mhz's is beter!

I wouldn't buy a new one though with the price of cpu/mobo's the way thay are!

------------------

grasshopper

grasshopper

undates...i popped it off..its a duron wannabe...lol...i also fiqured out that the soyo auto detect vcore was setting it at 2.9V like that of an older k6..hehe thats why it was so unstable huh?....hehe
    i used a jewlers little flat-head..no damage or nothin...neat lookin chip...i'm not sure bout the temps yet...but its runnin 375@2.2v no probs yet...

Thread Information