Pentium-3 or Celeron? Which ones better to overclock?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Pentium-3 or Celeron? Which ones better to overclock?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Vancouver, BC

    Pentium-3 or Celeron? Which ones better to overclock?

    I know I post alot about oc, and questions
    but I got one last question please.Ok, right now I have a P3-550E with 128megs or PC-100 ram. Included is a SDR GeForce, SB-Live, all on an Abit-BE6-2. Nice board if you ask me. Anyway, I wanna get faster with my cpu cause I can't really run out and buy a new cpu right now. So I wanna hit 700+ with my 550E. But theres a problem. My ram which is pc-100 has been to 118mhz fsb and is on cas-3. I don't think my ram will allow me to get to 700mhz or above. So would I lose out much if I sold my P3-550E and bought say a Celeron 566 or 600 because then I could clock the thing and the celerons have that 66mhz fsb right, so I could go all the way to 100mhz fsb and above and my ram would not complain. What you think? I could sell my ram but it would still cost me about 150canadian to get 133 even with the money I got if I sold my ram. I could clock my 550E to 700 and leave it but if my ram goes out the door in a few months Im up Sh*t creek cause I can't buy new stuff then. So Celeron or keep P3. I heard that if I clocked a celeron 566 to 850 it would be on par with a 700 or 750 in games, which is what I use my computer for anyways so that sounds good. What you all think? Thanks ***Note I do have a PEP-66 Alpha

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Hanford, CA

    Intel will be cutting prices pretty hard on monday, you could possibly pick up a P3 700 for around $150 (US). @ 118FSB (not the best place for PCI/AGP speeds) you would be @ 825. And when you can save up for some PC 133 you could be in the 900 club.

    Just a thought...
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

  3. #3
    MitchSchaft Guest
    I'm assuming you haven't tried to get your ram up to 133 yet. I also have pc100, but can do pc125 at cas-3. I currently have it at 133 with my [email protected] I have no problems at all. I don't see why you would want to buy a celeron because of its cache size/speed. If going to 133mhz doesn't work out, just buy some more ram and bump that SOB to 733 and forget the celeron.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    A CeleronII [email protected] is on virtualy on par with a stock 700E.
    The performance advantage of 133FSB for the Coppermine CPU's is a distinct advantage.
    Your Gforce will hit fill rate with a celeron at 850 and PC100 mem anyway.
    I have a [email protected] 950-1000mhz, but my advice is wait for the price cuts from Intel, then go for a Cb0 stepping PIIIE, around 700mhz mark.
    You should hit the big G if you can invest in mem at a later date, but with a celeron, you will just limit your system to the slower 100mhz FSB.
    Just that extra 33( and over )mhz of the me is yeilding some major performance gains.
    My PC has an attitude problem, alright!...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Houston TX. USA
    Dont buy a Celeron, I like Celerons, am on 1 now but their for budget systems, P-3 'E's are the way to go and are getting so cheap now, the performance is much better than a Celeron II in the long haul, This 533A seems to run much hotter than my [email protected], both using FDP-32 hs/fan & after about 20 min of UT it starts to lag quite a bit, where the P-3 keeps kickin *** & never quits.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts