Calling All ASUS A7V Owners......
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling All ASUS A7V Owners......

Calling All ASUS A7V Owners......

Onboard sound or no sound...that is the question. Dip swithches or no Dip switches ?
    Is anyone running this thing yet? What do the "must have" multiplier Dip swithches look like?

------------------
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"

It appears that the Asus boards without sound have the dipswtiches...I am not sure what they look like but a review is here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus_a7v.htm and in that review it says that the dipswitches can unlock locked processors....I am curious is this is true or not...

------------------
    When in doubt break out the sledge hammer....

Ok after much checking I am certain my board has the DIP switches, its the long blue one with 8 switches on it. I will try the OC thing this week, except I'm using a socket 7 cooler tomorrow for the first test.

WARNING: Do not Use Golden Orb Cooler!
    I'm looking for a decent cooling unit that wont toast the core of the Duron like so many other poor dudes.
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"

Is your chip locked or not? If it if and you are able to unlock it with the asus mobo please let me know....

------------------

I have a Duron 650 running at 900 on an A7V without onboard sound and I've had no probs at all! I use an Alpha cooler socket A fan and heatsink. Goto http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...rs_6.html#a116 if you don't believe me!!
    Clevo P150HM - Intel Core i7-2760QM Sandy Bridge - 16Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM - SanDisk Extreme 240Gb SSD - Radeon 6990M @ 740/1000

As far as I am aware, the A7V unlocks both of the socket A chips (T-Bird + Duron)
    Clevo P150HM - Intel Core i7-2760QM Sandy Bridge - 16Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM - SanDisk Extreme 240Gb SSD - Radeon 6990M @ 740/1000

Thats cool...(no pun intended) did you have to remove the white "feet" on the ALPHA and the black "cushions" on the DURON ? I need a cooler ASAP and might go for the Alpha if I think it wont wreck the chip.

------------------
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"

From what I have read, the MOBO wont unlock the thunderbird's. Dont see how it could anyway. you have to physically unlock the CPU yourself. But i could be wrong. it has been known to happen. lol
    T-Bird 800@1071 1.85V
    Asus A7V-ThermoEngine w/38CFM
    512M Kingmax PC150
    19" Sony Trinitron G400
    17" Gateway Monitor
    2 Vid Cards
    SBL! Platinum
    Desktop Theater 2500 5.1 Digital

Wasup,

My understanding was the same as Strats. What I've got out of the posts about the A7V that I've read is that you can overclock the duron/thunderbird if you have:

1. an A7V board without onboard sound
    2. an unlocked duron/thunderbird

Am I wrong here? Can you overclock the duron/thunderbirds, that are locked, with the A7V board? Or do you have to use a fancy pen to make bridges?
    "Where is the ANY key?"

My understanding as of today: July 28, 8:13 PM Central, is that the ASUS A7V with the dip switches which are darkish blue with 6 switches on it, and say ECE in weird writing, are designed to unlock the mutiplier of both Duron & T-bird, and come on the SECOND batch of boards with no sound. These boards bear the code:
    A7V REV.1.01.1.
    above the last PCI slot.

------------------
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"

for all of you who have "locked" durons and t-birds... all you need to do is get a "conductive trace pen" and connect the all the dots in L1.. if they're all connected? you've got an unlocked chip!
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

by the way, if you want to buy the conductive pen... go here: http://www.web-tronics.com/webtronics/2200-mtp.html

------------------
    .model small

.DATA
    **strBooYah db '600e@930',0dh,0ah,$

.CODE
    start:
    **mov dx, offset strBooYah
    **mov ah, 09h
    **int 21h
    exit:
    **mov ah, 4ch
    **int 21h

END
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

So does anyone know this:

If the DURON is locked (aren't they all ???) and you dont have an A7V w/o sound, (unlocks all Duron's & T-Birds...or does it ?) Then your saying that you must perform this operation (we know Tom's Hardware started it)and then you can adjust the multiplier in the BIOS ? And furthermore, I checked out the pen, it looks like it would work if I needed to do this. (not sure if I need to).I have a GIGABYTE GA-7ZM, can I plop in the surgicaly altered Duron and change the mulipier in the BIOS ? What I'm hoping is that someone can explain this to me.

------------------
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"

thanks for the link to the pen..i was looking for one.

ok if you have an unlocked processor-all l1 bridges connected u can use a mobo with multiplier settings to overclock it

if u have a locked processor u must close the l1 bridges to use on a mobo with the adjustment

if u have an unlocked processor and a board with out the adjustment u must disconnect the l1 bridges then use the settings for the other bridges we have seen.

if the processor is locked with a board with no adjustments then the l1 bridges are open already and u just have to make the other bridge adjustments.

If u physically mod the chip to use in a board with out the multiplier settings then the board should automattically recognize it. so u shouldn't have to change anything in bios.

at least all this is what i understand. anyone can tell me if they think i am wrong

Bravo dfgsd !!! Thats acurrate to my knowledge.

Check this out...most informative article I've found yet.
    http://www.dansdata.com/a7v2.htm

From what I can tell the Duron is a Smokin' deal if it will run 900. Closing the |1 on the T-Bird is not so scary to me anymore... however I can get an A7V & 650 Duron for the same price as an 800 T-bird right now. I'm getting so bloody excited about this!

Doc

------------------
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"

Thread Information