good pc133?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: good pc133?

good pc133?

I have a PIII700 (cbo stepping) and an Asus p3v4x mobo- I wanted to try and overclock it since I've heard of so many of them being able to go to 933. However, I have PC100 memory. I'm guessing I have to get some PC133 memory to be able to o'clock it.

So, what is the best PC133 memory to get? Or does it matter (i.e. will generic work)?
    Basically, I'm looking for good memory for a good price (who isn't?). Thanks!

P.S.- It's a retail PIII, so it has the stock heatsink and fan. Will that be sufficient, or do I need to get a better one?

About the best in terms of overclockability and customer service is www.mushkin.com but it is a bit pricey... but when you want the best it is all worth it.

------------------
    http://www.crosswinds.net/~areyoubored
    Operation Break Stuff:
    Anatomy of a 286
    It said "requires Windows 95 or better," so I installed Linux.

Try it with your pc100 first, there is some pc100 that will do 133. Good case ventilation and a good h/s fan combo is vital to your OC'ing success, get that before you start OC'ing.

Mushkin has great Memory as well as Crucial and Corsair. Your Asus board may have the option of running the memory at -33 the bus speed. Meaning that your system would be running at 133 while the ram would stay at 100. A lot of the new motherboards have that feature. Check in the Bios and see, if it did it would save you the money.

The P3V4X does indeed have the async memory speed option. While it's great for saving some money, it does cut down on your memory bandwidth and that slows you down. Especially on the Apollo Pro 133A mobos which are starving for more memory bandwidth.

If you want to try hitting 1GHz (144+MHz FSB)or close to that clock speed then you should consider buying the more expensive SDRAM like EMS's HSDRAM, Mushkin's PC133 Rev 2, Cosair's PC133 CL 2 SDRAM that can handle 145 - 150MHz FSB speeds. If 933MHz (133MHz FSB) is good enuff for you then any generic SDRAM will work for you.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

Just to try for the majic numbers now, why not set your
    System/SDRAM Frequency Ratio
    setting in bios to "4/3".
    Your mem will now run at CPU bus - 33mhz
    If you Crank your CPU upto 140mhz , your mem should still be within safe limits (ie 107mhz). A slight increase in bandwidth also.
    My PC has an attitude problem, alright!...

Can you expand on this 4:3 ratio for cpu to ram? I too have a P3V4X, a crapload of siemens pc100 Ram (cl2 & cl3), and I cannot afford any pc133 right now. I have a PIII650E cpu. Do ya think I can make my cpu scream "gig-it-hurtz!"? How much of a bandwidth hit will I take on memory?

This devider will make your mem run at its current frequency of 100mhz, and the bus at 133mhz. It will take no hit from what it is at pressent, but your figures may increase slightly due to Cache frequency changes.
    have you tweaked your system with WPCREDIT yet?. If not a you should!.
    I wont post link yet cos im too lazy...

Jesstar - dogbiskit has a VIA 133A chipset mobo which has the +33 MHz and -33 MHz asynchronous SDRAM feature. The 4:3 ratio between the FSB and SDRAM is a feature of the i815 and i815e chipsets.

dogbiskit - In the current market, Mushkin's High Performance Rev 1.5 Mosel 222 PC133 SDRAM is a good buy at "only" $166:

http://www.mushkin.com/cgi-bin/Mushk...roducts/990525

Over at Anand's, it ran all the benchmark set at CAS2 up to 146 MHz. I'm using some generic Mosel that I'm running set at 2-2-2 at 144 MHz, so the Mushkin should be better.
    1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

I just got an email that www.spathi.com is going to be pulling our orders in like 3 weeks for Rev2, which means a saving of $30-$40
    It said "requires Windows 95 or better," so I installed Linux.

Hmm very strange...
    That info was especialy for an ASUS P3V4X Motherboard bios 1005 which has that feature in BIOS!.
    I have one so I KNOW .

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Since I don't have money to burn right now, I think I'll try the 4:3 ratio option for now- just to see if my system can even take a fsb of 133.

When I get the money, I'll go for the pc133.

warhorse- I just signed up at that spathi site. Looks like it could be a good deal.

Thread Information