Overclocking P3 800Mhz & What's in the Future?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Overclocking P3 800Mhz & What's in the Future?

Overclocking P3 800Mhz & What's in the Future?

Hi, how is everyone?

Right now I am in the process of buying a new PC. I know I will like to buy a Pentium instead of a AMD because AMD has some problems with reliability. I want to be able to Overclock my new computer, but there is so much info out there that I don't know where to start, or what's right for me.
    If I buy a P3 800 MHz @ 133 MHz what will I be able to overclock it too, will I be able to get it to over 1GHz @ 150-200 MHz, and what kind of mother board will I need? Or would I be able to buy a less powerful CPU and get the same results? Then again, is there something newer and better out there (for the present or future, that I should know about)?

I want to do my research before I buy, that's why I am asking all u experts out there.

I will appreciate any suggestions. Thankz

~Mark~

Well i would get an athlon over a p3 right now the new AMD chip are superior in quality and performance ( this from someone who used to be die hard Intel until he started getting some athlon systems at work and decided to try one out.) The decision is up to you i would recommend however that you get the 800/100 as at 133 all you componets will be stressed more and the only current way to OC a p3 is to up the FSB at 133 you don't have a lot of head room.. you should be ably to get a cbo 800/100 to at least 124*8=992 or 1 gig and more than likely with more cooling be able to get the magic 133*8 1.064.. i have a p3 700 at home at 1 gig and a 700 thunderbird at 1 gig.. the p3 boots a little faster but everything else is better with the tbird i'm sure that AMD's problem is/are just poor chipset support right now but as soon as that is taken care of..

make sure you get a CBO or wait for the CCO..which is what im doing...the cco is supposed to go way over 1ghz...1.2 or 1.4 possibly .13 micron process i think

------------------
    computers dont have speed limits - NOT ANYMORE

Originally posted by Philly:
    make sure you get a CBO or wait for the CCO..which is what im doing...the cco is supposed to go way over 1ghz...1.2 or 1.4 possibly .13 micron process i think

When is the CCO comming out? And how much will it be ($) compared to the cBO? Is it really worth the waite?

cC0's are supposed to be comming out in August the 14th. Im waiting 2 - 3 weeks and see how they overlock. I will probably buy a 700E or a 800E. The new stepping should give you at least 1 GHz maybe 1.2 GHz if youre lucky.
    Its the same 0.18 micron process only its been tweaked like the cB0 stepping is over the old cA2 stepping. The one Philly is talking about (0.13) are supposed to be the new "flavour" coppermines that are comming before the Pentium 4, but they aren't comming out till a couple of months and they should hit up to 1.4 GHz.
    In conclusion, I think its worth the wait and the new chips shouldn't cost more than the present chips we have now, hell maybe in 2 - 3 weeks time they will go down in price to make way for the newer 0.13 microns.
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+, Abit KR7A-R, 512MB PC2700 DDR CAS2, 2x IBM 30.6GXP running RAID 0, Asus GeForce2 MX, Hercules GameTheater XP, SMC 1210TX Nic...

Oh and for your first question.
    Right now the 700E cB0's are the best overclockers out there atm (Intel wise).
    People have been hitting 933, 980 and 1008 MHz+ with air cooling. Im pretty much in the same position as you as Im upgrading and I was going to buy this chip, until I heard about the cC0's. So I have decided to wait as the cC0s are supposed to hit 1 GHz easily.

The 2 best motherboards in my opinion now are the Asus P3V4X and the Asus CULS2. They are both very stable and allow you to overclock your processor to high speeds easily. Only the CULS2 is expensive - $160 -$180 US and the P3V4X is much cheaper and provides nearly the same kind of performance in some tests. But If you get a good video card like a GTS 2 and other parts that can handle 133 MHz FSB then you could go with an older BX board like the Abit BF6 or BE6II and blow both of those Asus boards out of the water.
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+, Abit KR7A-R, 512MB PC2700 DDR CAS2, 2x IBM 30.6GXP running RAID 0, Asus GeForce2 MX, Hercules GameTheater XP, SMC 1210TX Nic...

WOW U KNOW YOUR STUFF Jamesy. NOW THATS SOME GOOD ADVICE . THANKZ!

[This message has been edited by Mark Vanlee (edited 07-31-2000).]

Thanks. Hey I get all this info from other members here too so dont give me all the credit.
    So what you going to do? play the waiting game?
    Check out
    http://www.octools.com/articles/700e/700e.html in the meantime.

[This message has been edited by Jamesy (edited 08-01-2000).]

That's a good point Jamesy. These are a wonderful post and I thank all the members for all the info they posted on all topics.

About my decision, I've been really busy lately with other stuff, so I haven't thought about it much. When I decide what I am going to do I will post it. But in the mean while I will check out that site.

Thread Information