junker practice PC
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: junker practice PC

junker practice PC

I hust aquired a Intel 386.
    I have no idea where to start, and i have very little knowlege of old pc's.
    this is my practice pc for O/cing
    I can even find the processor, its like its all molded into the mother board.
    and all the ports are all in pci slots (if they are pci slots)
    any info on where to start on o/cing this thing would be great.

Unless you increase the bus speed for the CPU, as far as i know 386's don't have clock multiplier they work at the same speed as the BUS (or to say it in another way 1x).

I think those slots are not PCI, most probably are MCA, PCI was developed at the beginings of the Pentium and the last moments of 486.
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?
    OTCentral

Here's my 2 cents worth:

Overclocking an older machine like a 386 is much more difficult and might require parts that are no longer available, and the results aren't too amazing and what you learn is not always very helpful for future projects. It's best for the nostalgic amusement of experts.

If you're on a modest but not ultra-tight budget, you might want to get something like a mid-tower ATX case, an Abit board, and a Celeron 533a or 566.

If you're on an ultra-tight budget, you could have some fun and learn by trying a motherboard upgrade in a 286 or 386 case, with a baby AT form factor motherboard. There's a whole world of new socket 7 baby AT boards and inexpensive cpus to fit. You can look through the topics here and find out a lot. You can even find new baby AT boards that will accept older Celeron cpus, and there's a whole world of overclocking those.

Many 386 cases do not have the space inside for a socket 7 board, but no problem--places like goodwill sell big old 286 case computers for around $5 and lots of other used components cheap. Often they aren't broken but just obsolete. Enough holes will usually line up to mount your new board.

Computer stores often replace lots of old computers for businesses, etc. and throw out or give away obsolete stuff cheap or free.

If your 386 works good I would keep it running and just borrow the keyboard, monitor, video card, etc to try on
    your project computers.

There is no easy or free or painless way to learn this stuff, but somehow a lot of people do it.

Good luck!

Thread Information