Coppermine and older BX......
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coppermine and older BX......

Coppermine and older BX......

I have an Asus P2B-F Motherboard and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with coppermines(specificalyy xxxE)processors.
    I had tried to install a 600mhzE but I failed to realize that my AGP bus was always at 1/1 with the processor so it would never boot. It did however post...

An Asus techy said the voltage wuchamacallit didn't do something in synchronis with something else, but I am still wondering if may work.... Thanks

Have you flashed to the newest BIOS? I have a BH6 that I knew would not work with a Coppermine until I did this. Is running a Celeron II 533A (Coppermine core) as we speak.

------------------
    Cassis Extract = smell of cat piss
    Cassis Extract = smell of cat piss

Many of the P2B-? series boards will run coppermines very well (I have one myself) if the board is a late enough rev. and if you flash with a recent beta bios, available at www.asustek.de the German site. The P2B-F is confusing because as I recall the rev numbers are all the same but during production there was a major change, which is necessary for running coppermines, and which is identified by a code on a sticker on the board.

See http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/006611.html for a frustrating look at the problem (unless you have the right code on a sticker).

By the way, that's bs they told you about the AGP bus: the p2 runs at the same fsb speed as the p3/100. The multiplier is 2/3 for those cpus and 1/1 for stock celerons.
    I believe the problem is whether the board has the hardware to supply the lower voltage needed by coppermines, and the bios software to recognize them.

I know that the P2B board rev 1.02 that I had didn't "offically" support a coppermine chip. That said, some people have been running it just fine at 1.8v (which is as low as the voltage regulator on the board can supply). There are also slockets out now that have their own regulator on board that will lower the voltage further, down to the 1.6 or 1.65v the coppermine wants. I don't have a link to that slocket handy, anyone else got it handy?

Rick
    Duron 750@847, Asus A7V133, 256mb Crucial PC133 CAS2 at 150,
    Matrox G400 32mb DH, Maxtor 10.2GB, Maxtor 15.2 GB, Plextor 8/4/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB Live X-Gamer, D-Link NIC

Rick25 is right...You don't need a late revision P2B-XX to run a Coppermine...Even earlier revisions can run it just by flashing the BIOS to the latest version so it could identify the processor...You won't be able to run it at default 1.65V but 1.8V (the lowest these old BX mobos will supply) is still within the "safe" range. Some people even use 1.85V+ when overclocking these Coppermines...

I suggest however that you get better cooling and a high-quality slocket with voltage adjustments if you plan on doing this. This means that you can only use a FC-PGA Cumine and set the jumpers on the slocket to 1.8V...You can also buy a slocket with a built-in VRM which supplies the default voltage for the Cumine but I'm not sure if any of these is presently available in the market.

Thanks, Rick25 and Kroblanx,

for clearing up a mystery--that all makes sense now. I didn't have an early board to test it for myself.

The German Asus site still claims that none of their slockets will lower the voltage to 1.65 if the board doesn't support it, and I can't find any others that will either, but if there are any I'd be pleased to know about it.

By the way, there are a lot of slocket photos at http://socket370.freeyellow.com but I didn't see any mention of Iwill, one of the first and probably most common.

I already tested this type of setup with a P3 550e running on an ASUS P2B-B rev. 1.01...Core voltage at 1.8V (lowest voltage setting for this mobo) and the processor is running nicely at 682 Mhz (124 FSB)...I used an ASUS slocket with voltage jumpers set at 1.8V and a GlobalWin HSF to cool it...

As for the slocket w/ built-in VRM, I think Powerleap has one called the PL-P3 which supplies default core voltages to Cumine and Cel2 CPUs running on old BX boards...I'm just not sure if they have released it yet...

The iWill2 slocket will allow vcore from 1.30 to 3.50 and supplys default 1.5v up to 2.0 in .5v steps for cumines,celly2s.

The Iwill2 Slocket does not have a built-in VRM...It only allows core voltage adjustments via jumpers...If your mobo's VRM doesn't supply core voltages lower than 1.8V, the Iwill2's core voltage settings from 1.2V to 1.75V are useless...

In short, this slocket does not supply core voltages. It only makes certain voltage settings accessible if your mobo supports these voltages.

I only know of one slocket that supplies core voltages (built-in VRM) and this is Powerleap's PL-P3 adapter...I just don't know if they have released it yet...

This just in...Powerleap's new advanced slocket, the PL-iP3 is now shipping and will be available within the week.

As I said before, it has a built-in VRM which supplies the default core voltages of the Cumine and Celery2 to mobos which don't support them. All you need is a BIOS flash update to let your old mobo identify the processors...Rejoice all old BX board owners...You don't have to replace that ol' tried and tested mobo...

The Iwill Slotket II does have a VRM onboard! Read the last paragraph on this page:

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardw...eviews/1416/2/

[This message has been edited by Dave_B (edited 07-31-2000).]
    1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

Just read the article...I think my reference to VRM was misinterpreted...All slockets including the Iwill2 which are FC-PGA compatible have some sort of VRM which provides compliance to VRM 8.4 specs needed for mobos to run Cumine processors...That's what makes them different to purely PPGA slockets which only have VRMs with 8.2 specs...

Therefore, your mobo still has to support core voltages lower than 1.8V for the Iwill2's voltage jumpers to access them...

On the other hand, Powerleap's product, the PL-iP3 has the same VRM for VRM 8.4 specs but in addition has what they call Independent Power Supply technology...This simply means that the slocket itself supplies the core voltage for the processor and by-passes the mobo's core voltage unit...The voltage jumpers on the Powerleap slocket were meant to access the adapter's built-in IPS or core voltage unit and not the mobo's...The Iwill2's jumpers can only access the mobo's core voltage unit so it is dependent on what voltages the mobo supports.

I have an ASUS P2B-F rev 1.00 and it works fine with my PIII 700@866. I use an ASUS slotket with a voltage regulator, yet it doesn't seem to be able to regulate anything.

Here's the funny thing: in BIOS, the V-core says is 1.6V!! Should I trust that the mobo supplies 1.8V, or the BIOS that displays 1.6V?

Some P2B-F rev. 1.00 mobos especially those manufactured Dec.99 onwards already supply core voltages lower than 1.8V so they can run Cumines and Celery2s at their default voltages...Your mobo may be one of them...

As for the ASUS slocket, it also has the VRM common to all FC-PGA slockets with voltage jumpers. Unlike the Powerleap slocket, it doesn't have a built-in IPS or core voltage unit...

Sorry if I'm a little dense here, but one of the first things I fooled around with in College years ago were voltage dividers. With a voltage divider you can provide any voltage you want provided it's lower than the source voltage.

I can't see why this wouldn't be implemented in Slotkets. A simple resistive network, selectable via the slotket jumpers, can divide down 1.8V to any lower voltage and the on-board VRM could precisely regulate it. What am I missing here?

[This message has been edited by Dave_B (edited 07-31-2000).]
    1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

Thread Information