PII 300 or AMD K-6 500???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PII 300 or AMD K-6 500???

PII 300 or AMD K-6 500???

I'm given the opportunity of trading my K-6 500 and soyo 5ehm mobo for my friends' PII 300 and mobo. I figured that I could overclock the P2 300 to 450 and I can be sure that it'll beat the K-6 500 in games right? In other words, I'm asking if anyone had an easy time with overclocking the p2 300 to 450 and will it be better than the K-6 500? I'm using a voodoo 3 2k right now.

The overclocked pII 300 most likely wont be better if the bus & RAM run at 66 Mhz, although I am not positive. My friend has a DELL PII 300 and its got a 66 Meg Bus. This thing is slow like a mother......

------------------
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"
    "I cant drive...55 !!!"

Are you sure your friend's mobo supports bus speeds over 66Mhz (I assume you plan on using 4.5 x 100)? If your friend bought the mobo when a PII 300 was hot stuff, it will be a 66Mhz-only board. I think your soyo board supports 112Mhz bus. Have you tried your K6-2 at 4.5 x 112 for 504 Mhz? This should be pretty close to a P2 450, if it works. Regardless of which you go with you should (if you haven't already) overclock your V3 to 166mhz or higher. Mine is at 194 with a cheap pentium fan held to the standard V3 heatsink with wire ties. If you need a V3 OC utility check the "utilities" area at http://www.3dfiles.com

jough
    I really can't rely on the 112 bus speed coz last time i did that it hanged up in q3 after 30 mins to and hour. I need faster fpu power coz overclocking the voodoo 3 to 183mhz on my k6 500 did nothing significant (1-3fps increase) which means the cpu is holding me back. when I used the 112bus speed i got only 5-8 fps increse which is quite low.....so will i expect higher fps after the switch? and what are the chance that I can make it to 450???

just make sure your friend's motherboard has a BX chipset and the PII 300 has a .25 micron core or you cannot overclock it at all.

------------------
    This signature space FOR RENT

This signature space FOR SALE

WHAT!!!!!
    This person is talking about swapping a K6-2 for a PII of almost 1/2 the clock speed, and you aren't saying NO???????
    OK, heres my say:
    The PII 300 will NOT reach 450, it may make 350ish if you are lucky but even there it will not beat a well set up K6-2 500, even in gaming. Hell my K6-2 550@600 can match and beat a PIII 500 (not an E mind you) in any bench or game you care to name (OK, so the PIII was on a sucky VIA motherboard with the worst setup I've ever seen, but still), even the memory!!!
    For goodness sake get a hold of yourself, the K6-2 500 is roughly equivelant to a PII/Celeron 350/333 in FPU, and vastly superior in everything else! And the K6-2 should make 550 at a push.
    So get a hold of yourself and say NO!
    Just my 2 cents,
    Fallguy

Oh,
    and having reread your origenal post, the PII will DEFINATELY perform worse in games, because your Voodoo has 3DNow! enhanced drivers, and a SIMD enhanced CPU will always beat an unenhanced CPU (especially at almost 2 times the clock speed!).
    Fallguy

I think a 5-8 FPS increase from the 112mhz bus is pretty impressive considering the cpu is essentially the same speed. Too bad it didn't quite work. If an 8 FPS increase doesn't get you to where you want to be then the PII may disappoint you also, even if you can get it to 450. If you trade boards, what about the RAM? Your friends board may only have PC-66 on it now, and I assume you have PC-100 and plan on keeping it. The two of you can't just swap mobos and cpus unless your friend is buying newer memory or already has it. This parts swapping can get pretty complicated

Thread Information