Thread: everyone please read- something for everyone

everyone please read- something for everyone

just got through ordering almost everything i have been looking for

couple fans
    tom's peltier kit 72w
    hercules 2 GTS 64mb
    explorer mouse

my questions are
    anybody have any suggestions for the peltier? warnings, websites (specifically for tom's stuff), use?

im thinking of getting a new HDD from IBM
    7200 rpm ata66
    and those who have BE6-2= does the ata66 onboard work? ive heard so many people that don't like it
    will the IBM be able to overclock? 40+ PCI???

------------------
    computers dont have speed limits - NOT ANYMORE

The Overall warning using peltiers are condensation. Remember to put insulation into good use...

BE6 II/I have ATA33 and ATA66 onboard, so it will support up to 4 33 drive and 4 66 drives, a total of 8 IDE drives. People don't like it because sometimes it may have conflict with other component. In my case it had conflict with my RAID setup. About whehter the IBM will/will not able to take up to 40+ MHZ. 40+ seems a bit high to be. You will not get into 40+ unless you go over 160MHZ FSB. But IBM are oen of those drives that can live up to high PCI MHZ. Who knows...

salt

I agree with that.. IBM's can take a beating, you should be happy with one.. good luck!

------------------
    <<<***My Stuff***>>>
    AMD Athlon 650 Thunderbird @ 900(on air for now)
    FIC SD-11(for now)
    128mb Stick of Cruital pc-133
    300w Sparkle PS
    20 gig IBM 66 7200rpm HD
    Nvidia TnT2 32mb
    HP 8100 CDRW
    Plextor 50X CDrom

~{*SPEED LIMIT 2000MHZ*}~
    <<>*My Stuff*<>>
    6300 Core2Duo@2065 Mhz
    ASrock 775Dual-VSTA
    2GB DDR Dual Channel
    2 WD 150 7200 Raid 0
    XFX 6600GT @ 550/1100

if i use the insulation that comes with the kit i shouldnt see condensation right?

------------------

Use a program called 'ShutdownNow' - it will power-off your computer if the CPU temp gets above a preset limit.
    If the power supply for the TECs should fail, the TECs can quickly turn into effective insulators, preventing the CPU heat from escaping and within a few minutes, overheating the processor.
    If your TEC will share the same power supply as the motherboard then i's no big deal, a failed power supply would simply cause everything to shut down(hopefully).
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

TNproud2b, yep! Great idea!!
    ugh!

The insulation in the kit (not sure which you have) may only insulate between the top of the CPU and the heatsink/cold plate. If the cpu (and even the socket) is colder than the outside air then you can get condensation from moist air that passes inbetween the socket and the motherboard. If you are supercooling you can also get condensation on the back side of the mobo.

Bad condensation problems are easy to spot. I had a very minor condensation problem that caused some (repairable with solvent and a toothbrush) corrosion on the pins of a k6-3 400 over a few months time. The BIOS reported the cpu temp as being within one degree of the air temp so I thought I could do without the insulation. What I didn't consider was that the reported cpu temp may have been off by a coulple degrees (no more than that because it felt about what was reported) and the cold side of the peltier and the cold plate is always going to be slightly cooler than the cpu since it is not attached to the cpu with 100% thermal conductivity. So the moisture condensates on the cold plate or peltier and then runs off onto the cpu.

You should seal around the base of your socket-if you have a socket.

get the 1.22 revision for the highpoint 366 controller, then get the latest drivers at the same time, from http://www.abit-usa.com
    they work much better and are more stable than the shipping drivers.

------------------
    Mark
    Celeron 566@935MHz,1.85v,
    BE6-II,Abit Slocket3,Golden Orb,Infienion PC100 C2{128mb),seagate 17.3g,quantum 1g,s/b 16,Voodoo3 3000@185MHz(w/hsf),linskys 10/100,3Com 10/100.
    Win98se.

[This message has been edited by Kruz (edited 07-12-2000).]
    AMD Opteron 146 @ 2907MHz
    Abit AN8 NF4 Mobo
    XFX 7800GTX (486\1400)
    2 GB CORSAIR XMS PC3200
    2x 160 gig WD (sata raid-0)
    Zalman CNPS9500 Heatsink
    Antec Super LanBoy Case
    Antec 550w TruePowerII
    ViewSonic 19" LCD Widescreen

Philly, could you keep us posted on the results of your Hercules card. Am updating soon, and would like to know! Thanks, Mark

------------------
    All good things come to those who wait!!!!
    All good things come to those who wait!!!!

the BE6-II comes with auto-shutoff ability in the bios... you just set the temperature... the only problem is that the lowest setting for the auto-powerdown is 75C -- a bit too high for me

i've had trouble w/ the high point ata/66 and overclocking... to get over 123mhz i had to turn off ata/66 -- now i'm at 154

------------------
    Old McDonald had a gig, E-I-E-I-O
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

saltedeggman

BE6 II/I have ATA33 and ATA66 onboard, so it will support up to 4 33 drive and 4 66 drives, a total of 8 IDE drives. People don't like it because sometimes it may have conflict with other component. In my case it had conflict with my RAID setup
    I too, have problems with BE6II and raid. Did you find a way to resolve the problem???
    I would really like to hear from anyone who has tackled this problem!!
    BTW Philly other than the raid problem, I have been very happy with the BE6II Mobo.

[This message has been edited by Hazbin (edited 07-12-2000).]

Yea. I'd like to know 'bout the RAID problem too. I'm going to try the raid thing soon with a BE6 motherboard.

I've had excellent luck with my IBM deskstar 20.0 gb 7200rpm udma66

it runs 24/7 on seti at 41.5 mhz pci, no bad sectors, registry errors...

I decided to try IBM after hearing so many good things about them, and now I have become a devoted IBM fan

------------------
    check out our new bulletin board/chat site...

Chatastic

i hate waiting for parts...it just seems to take so bloody long...

------------------

Got my Peltier today...damn thing almost scares me...i dont wanna blow my beloved chip up...or anything else...but hey...if the chip goes...well ill just have to get a new one, but ill wait and get a CCO 850 when it comes out, the 1ghz is supposed to drop to like 500$ so im sure the 850 won't be more than 400 or so-1.2ghz baby

------------------

Thread Information