epox-mvp3c2+amd k6-2 550mhz
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: epox-mvp3c2+amd k6-2 550mhz

Hybrid View

epox-mvp3c2+amd k6-2 550mhz

Hi!
    i tried to overclock this sucker to 600mhz(112x5) vithout success i tried to raise the voltage(default 2.3v.) to 2.4
    but didn't got the guts to raise it further
    so anyone with experience or anything...help
    is appreciated tell me your views

sensen, don't be too disappointed. The K6-II/IIIs aren't known to be great overclockers. Due to low yields at the production line, they are released from the factory clock at or close to their maximum clock speed. However, they are usually still good @ 112MHz but no more then that. Do post your system specs and we'll take a guess as to what's holding you back.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

Go for 2.6 Volts. My K6-2 500 default of 2.2 has been as high as 2.9@600(120*5) but wont boot into win98. Nt works but no win.

------------------
    You give a man a fish, you feed him for a day.
    You teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    OR some comparable advice:
    If you make a mistake once, thats human; If you make the same mistake twice, you're the only fool.
    You give a man a fish, you feed him for a day.
    You teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    OR some comparable advice:
    If you make a mistake once, thats human; If you make the same mistake twice, you're the only fool.

i have ep-mvp3c2+amd k6-2 550mhz with 128mb dimm + seagate 4.3gb + guillemot maxi gamer xentor 16mb agp + sblaster 64pci+motorola 56pci modem amd is now at 5x100(550mhz)2.3v.

Half the way between a PC screen and the scary real life...
    Sensen, I guess it is just that you typed it wrong, though 5x112 gives 560.
    Anyway, it will perform better than 600@6x100, if your components can take it (if you can get into windows without blue screens, it is a good start). Remember that increased FSB means increased AGP and PCI bus speeds.
    I have a config similar to yours, K6-2 500 with MVP3 based mobo.
    I know 500's are usually stable at 560 2.5V, it is quite weird that yours cannot take it at a lower voltage.
    That is why I guess K6-2's have a rather bad overclocker image: it is a russian roulette, you can push one chip to whatever you want to, while another one (same specs) will be a real pain.
    Mach 3.5 is right, you can push the voltage to 2.6V, that's the design limit AMD says. You can give it a try (be sure to have some rather good cooling stuff, and a bit of thermal paste) and after the "burn in" try to lower the voltage.
    Otherwise, accept your fate...
    Main rig: Athlon64 x2 4200+ | Asrock 939N68PV-GLAN | 4x512MB PC3200 | 120GB Seagate | Samsung DVDRW SH-S203D | VX550W PSU | WinXP Home SP3 / Ubuntu 7.10
    Headache generator: K6-2 500 | FIC VA503+ | 2x64MB PC133 | Voodoo 3 2000 PCI | SB32 ISA PnP | 15,2MB IBM | Xubuntu 8.04 / DeLiLinux 0.7.2
    Lappy: Compaq EVO N115 | Mobile Duron 1GHz | 384MB PC133 | VIA KM133 | Xubuntu 8.04
    A big thanks to MS's Vista for making me look into Linux distros!

stupid of me...of course it is 5.5x100=550mhz
    5.5x112=616mhz that is the one i tried to achieve...

Senson:
    I have Epox MVP3G5 (2mb. cache) There is a better than average chance that the cache on your motherboard will not tahe 112mhz. When you restart your comp, hit Delete and go to "Bios features setup" ( the second option in your setup) you can disable tha motherboard cache there.
    If it boots into windows & runs now,you know its the motherboard cache holding you back & not your voltage as cpu voltage has nothing to do with mb cache only on chip cache.
    If you had a K6-3 this wouldnt impact perf. as much as on K6-2.
    I would say your best bet would be to leave your fsb at 100 and change your multiplier to 2 (remapped to 6) If you have good cooling and your room temps are low enough to keep your cpu temp around 36c you should be able to run @600 2.4v.
    I have to use 2.5v cuz it gets realy hot in mobile home whem the sun shines

Hope this helps

Fish101

i have ep-mp3c2 with 2mb bios cache
    i flashed my bios to newest

Thread Information