ISDN?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: ISDN?

ISDN?

Im thinking about getting a ISDN connection and I was just woundering what type of download rates (on average) id get from a 64k and the 128k...
    To get 128k do I just need a 128k modem and plug it in both slots?
    "You missed it was the lag!"

I just installed an ISDN line for a small company so I've done some recent monitoring for them. On a dual B channel ISDN line you get typical download rates of about 10 - 11.5K/sec from a fast server. The only side effect to ISDN is relatively high latency. It takes a while for downloads to start and a pause before a webpage loads up. But once the latency is over it's fairly quick to bring the entire page up. Dual channel ISDN (2 B channels) only consist of 1 phone line/1 jack, what your telco does is open up then extra bandwidth/channel over a single line.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

I'm on ISDN here in Norway, and if the traffic on the net is low (at night) I get 7.3 - 8k when downloading from a decent server. With dual lines I get between 13 and 15.3k . When running dual line you're just using another logical line, you don't need an extra cable.

On the latency stuff S_Klass mentions, I don't notice any of that - everything seems a lot more responsive after going from 56k analog to 64k ISDN.

What I really like about ISDN is that it *NEVER* disconnects me. In the <3 years I've had ISDN, I've been disconnected 2-3 times, and that was when my ISP was doing some serious work on their servers, I love it

Oh and - the term "modem" isn't used with ISDN, as the signal isn't modulated at all - instead it's called an ISDN Adapter. All ISDN adapters should support dual-line - unless you've soldered it yourself (no offense) just plug the ISDN cable into the card, set the dial-up properties to use two channels (Multi-link) and you're off !
    Carpe noctem!

Thanks for all the help....just rang up about ADSL and Ive found out I get get it in augest/september so i think ill wait for that..
    you know about the latency thing does that give ya high pings in games?
    Cheers
    Nick
    "You missed it was the lag!"

How much is isdn a month in us$
    BELOW SHOWS HOW MUCH YOUR KNOWLEDGE GROWS AT OVERCLOCKERS FORUM:
    http://www.geocities.com/spediaemail/outstanding.jpg

Yup if you have crappy latency your ping will suffer in online games...
    i hate ISDN...so expensive yet not even that fast

i'll second that.....ISDN is like more expensive than cable and xdsl and its not even that fast......

it doesnt impress me much at all.....even though i'm on 128k isdn right now hehehe

but thats my work......i wouldnt buy it

definately wait for either cable or dsl.

ISDN is certainly more responsive then 56k dial up but then again so are molasses! However, when you compare ISDN to even the slowest cable and xDSL service you will see that ISDN has a lot more latency then either one of those 2. Cable at it's slowest downloads at about 30K/sec but it's advantage is that it has very low latency.

There are 2 things that affect how long it takes a page to load up on your screen. First there's latency, and then there's download speeds. If download speeds between ISDN & cable/xDSL were equal, a page would load up slower on ISDN because it has higher latency.

------------------

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

I'd like to get on a cable or adsl connection if I could, but here in Norway there is *only* ISDN. I'm saying *only* because that is what our national Telecommunications company (Telenor) wants us to think. We could've had adsl for years, but they've been holding it back - instead pursuing ISDN so that now 90% of the population have it.

Rumour has it that they are going to charge anyone who wants adsl for the cost of changing back to analogoue lines, or add a converter box. I can't think of any worse POS company policy than that.

On the ISDN-high latency issue, I don't know. I've never really tested it.
    S_Klass : if you've got a simple prog or method, I'd really like to know Feel free to mail me.

[This message has been edited by D|sElMiNk (edited 07-18-2000).]
    Carpe noctem!

Thread Information