Converting AT chassis to ATX
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Converting AT chassis to ATX

Converting AT chassis to ATX

I figure that I can't buy a ATX case which is what I wanted, because I have an BAT board. Failing this, I have decided just to get a new power supply which I need anyway.

The power switch on my case is an old AT one with 4 wires. I think the ATX ones are two wire connectors like, say, the reset switch. What are the chances I can convert the old switch to this new connector, and how? Has anyone ever done it?

All you need is a simple momentary switch to replace the latch type switch. In most cases, these seem to click, but I don't know why. Also, you'll probably have to cut out holes in the back of the case for the keyboard and mouse connectors unless it already has provisions for such.

Bart

------------------
    Abit BE6-II
    500MHz Celeron
    128MB Ram (one 64MPC100, one 64M8ns that I thought was PC100)
    3dFx Voodoo3 3000 AGP
    Seagate 17.2G 5400rpm HD/UDMA-66
    Fujitsu 3.2G 5400rpm HD/UDMA-33
    Generic 52x CD-ROM/UDMA-33
    Shuttle AK31v3.1 AMD XP1700+ 256MB Samsung PC2100 DDR nVidia GeForce2 GTS 32MB
    Maxtor 40GB D740X 7200RPM ATA-133 Generic 52x CD-ROM Tekram DC-390U2W SCSI Yamaha CRW8424S CD-RW SCSI-2

Oh, OK, lots of messing then.

My board fits in every other way though, so I don't need to cut only holes. It's a Baby AT board in an AT case so that's all OK. I'm only bothered about the PSU.

yeah, that's gonna be a pretty messy job- the new power supply isn't guaranteed to fit, the old power button wont work, although you may be able to use a sleep button or reset as the new power button. However the main problem is that you're gonna have to cut major holes in the back of that case if you want holes for your ports. It would be far easier to get a new case ~30.
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

No, you still don't get it. The board fits fine now with AT. All I'm doing is upgrading the power supply and the front panel buttons. I managed to remove the latch on the power button so it's a push to make switch like the reset button. I don't need any holes in the case because the board already fits.

One thing that does bother me is that the ATX power supply won't actually fit. Is it the same size as an AT one?

OK, I still don't quite get why you wnat to do this . What's wrong with an AT PSU and front buttons. Surely changing the buttons won't give you any suspend features because that's all done with the m/b. Are you just doing this to get a 300W PSU in your machine?

Good luck anyway, sounds like you're having fun .
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

I'll answer your question - The ATX PSUs are the same size as AT ones. At least, the normal ones are. Of course, now that I have said that, I worry that I am wrong (I accept no responsibility for myself being wrong, if I am) but I am pretty sure I am right, since I just replaced a couple of PSus yesterday and one AT mobo could take either an AT or an ATX PSU and the case only had 4 holes to screw the PSUs in, so they both must be the same size.

Once again, I am pretty sure they are the same size, but don't shout at me if I am wrong. Why don't you borrow someones ATX PSU to be sure.

USSVoyager

------------------
    Speed is everything - Warp factor 9, Mr. Sulu!

you might be able to convert the original switch...take off the metal plate, take off the spring, take out the push button, on the underside of the pushbutton is a small piece of wire take that out and reassemble the button and you get a momentary (i guess) switch...dont know how it would work though.

chris
    AMD TBird 750@850 w/ GW FOP38
    Abit KT7-Raid
    Micron PC133 128mb

Thread Information