Blow holes
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Blow holes

Blow holes

I am about to put two 80mm blow holes in the side panel of my case. the thing is, my case is one of those iMac clones, its a hell of a good case, but i was wondering if anyone had tips on cutting the plastic covering? thnx
    E6400 @ 4.1 Ghz // 4Gb DDR2 6400 // 8800GTS 512

Go really slow, use a low speed setting because you will melt the plastic if you cut/drill at high speed.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

i have one of those cases, and i cut holes in it for 80's.

here's what i did. first, trace the fan outline with a thin perma marker on the inside of the side panel. then, cut the metal inner part with tin snips (i actually used silver snips which are smaller an more precise) staying really tight on the lines.

now, you've got a guide for your hole saw within the confines of the square cutout. i actually rotated the hole saw by hand, which took about five minutes per hole, but maybe produced a cleaner cut(?).

the only problem with this method is that the fans will be mounted on the plastic only and you may need to shim the fans with some foam to cut down on the vibration noise. my case is now pretty quiet as far as vibrations, although the twin sunon hi-output fans are pretty load.

this may not be the best way to do it, but it worked pretty well for me.

by the way, a chrome fan grille looks really cool on a colored plastic case.
    ezekiel 25:17

er...load?

come to think of it, you could cut a circular hole in the metal layer almost as easily, use that to guide the hole saw, and have less of a vibration problem.

ezekiel 25:17

I have one of those color case's and put blow hole in top.Once every thing was measured and remeasured,I drilled two screw hole on the inside of area to be cut out and secured a 1x4 to act as a guide for the pilot drill on the hole saw. This way before the circle part of the saw contacts the surface you have a good guide to get a round not elipticle hole . Hope this helps.
    All good things come to those who wait!!!!

Thread Information