PROBLEM - Win98se wont install!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PROBLEM - Win98se wont install!!

PROBLEM - Win98se wont install!!

Alright, I just set up this system... had problems in the beginning with my mobo/bios detecting all my components. Finally found everything, accurately.

However, I can't get win98 to install without seeing a variety of error messages. I have no idea what the deal is... I haven't overclocked yet, so I know it isn't freezing up as a result of that. An example of the errors I receive is "W98SETUP caused a Stack Fault in module W98Setup.bin at 0003:1F3D."

I've attempted to re-format my hdd a couple times and just attempt reinstalls, but that hasn't worked. I have no idea what the deal is. Someone please give me some suggestions here.

Here's my specs:
    asus p3bf
    p!!! 600e fcpga on an asus sloket
    asus v6800 geforce ddr
    soundblaster live! value
    2 128mb stix hsdram ems
    16x pioneer dvd
    4x4x24x hival writer
    20gb 7200 seagate barracuda

thoughts?

mike

------------------
    i'm sotally tober... drot nunk at all... i swear...

Double check all your hardware and connections. Make sure your slotket is giving the correct voltage for the CPU. The Geforce will probably require 3.5volts IO check bios settings. Run Fdisk from the win 98 boot disk delete all dos partitions and make a new fat 32. Then boot up from the boot disk - option 1 and it should format the HDD and do the rest itself.

thanks for the ideas.
    I checked the connections and then did as you suggested by deleting the existing DOS partition, putting in a new one, and then formatting hd, installing win98. Here's the dilemma, though... everything went smoothly until I got to the win98 install screen that says "choose the method of installation" and lists typical, custom, etc. I chose custom and when I hit "next", it froze up with the error message "Application Error: SUWIN caused a Stack Fault in module USER.EXE at 0002.0C07" -- Argh... this is starting to annoy me.

Everything is connected right and working smoothly. MB detected everything correctly and it all responds as it should.

One consideration, though, my case is an Addtronics 3890, and with the height of the slotket, it sort of pushes it against the power supply/hd bracket, effectively holding it in place. However, my concern is that it is putting too much pressure on it -- forcing the slotket too far into the cpu slot on the mb and causing these errors... is this even possible? I'm just trying to come up with a logical reason as to why this is happening. hmmm...

any ideas welcomed.

mike

sell windows and get linux
    Windows:

Windows Is Not Demented, Overrated Sh!t

(stupid 200 chars max...)

Yeah right install Linux and get no support for games and some hardware etc and be non compatable with 90% of the planet

I wouldn't have thought it was the pressure thing. Sounds like a memory / File corruption problem try slowing the ram (333)down checking hdd is detected correctly and using the other CD device for installing In case it is file read coruption.

Also the Geforce takes a lot of power so is your Power supply upto it. I had a problem with installing windows (different symptoms to you), due to a Bad 250watt PSU These types of faults are so annoying

LOL to linux...

I've got a 300 watt power supply, and it seems to be working fine. I'll check the memory issue and re-post if things change. You're right, these hold-ups are extremely annoying, considering I spent the past couple months researching, price watching, and saving for the components that I wanted to combine... infuriating.

hopefully i'll get it to work after messing around with it a bit more.

mike

Try removing the sound blaster and other cards that you don't need immediatly. Then after you get into windows add them back in. This solved my windows install problem once.

remove ever NON necessary item 4 an Install. Make sure virus ditection is Turned OFF in the bios. set bios 2 Defult settings. that is about al lI cna think of presently.

Greg
    AMD 4 ever! Wana step outside and Decide? PCabusers.net the upandcomming

SlyveR,

aug1516 and Nexus_7 are completely right! The OS should take priority! Remove everything but the essentials, Vid card and hd, the try to install Windows! Remember, windows is DUMB and gets confused often!

My personal opinion!

I would have to agree with gunk, Linux would be a better way to go! There are some good windows emulators for LINUX!

Hey, I probably alienated myself, but I DO LIKE LINUX BETTR !!!

gotta go and get some sleep now! sleep........

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

------------------

grasshopper

grasshopper

my buddy had the same problem on a system he was working on.

it turned out to be a memory conflict. pulled all the memory but one dimm and everything went smoothly!

also those Soundblaster lives have been known to have problems with the Cumines!
    whatever

It's your RAM.
    I'd bet money on it.
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

Yeah right install Linux and get no support for games and some hardware etc and be non compatable with 90% of the planet
    Yesssssssss. by taking up this mentality, you are just strengthening MS's monopolising strangle on the world. Take the easy way out, fine, get windows and spend ages trying to change settings. or go with linux.

LINUX FOREVER!!!
    Windows:

in case you hadn't realised, i'm looking for trouble.
    Windows:

go with Linux and spend 4 days trying to get on the internet. no thanks. been there, done that.
    When Linux has Plug&Play, pretty icons, and support for most 3D games...I still won't won't use it. Because the name is stupid.

P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

gunk

I don't hate Linux and Windows is far from perfect, I was however stating that to a gamer Linux is useless at present,Yes there are a handful of games, but I saw a Linux UT version the other day and it was more than twice the price of the Windows version.

I was mainly pointing out that your post in the thread was not valid and necessary in the contex of the discussion, and I had put a:- face in the text to inicate I was half pulling your leg.

As TNProud2B said once, when Linux has the same support for everything, then it will be just as bloated & hashed together as Windows. My points about Linux are vaild, and I'll elaborate. Get Linux if you want but realise the majority of the planet is using something else, even if it is not better.

If SlyveR has a hardware related problem, and it sounds like a Memory issue then Linux isn't going to help.

Don't come to me looking for trouble because I've got heaps of it here I can dish out

Regards BladRunner

Thread Information