Pleeaseee help me overclock PIII600 Katmai!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Pleeaseee help me overclock PIII600 Katmai!!

Pleeaseee help me overclock PIII600 Katmai!!

Hi guys,
    i recently bought PIII600 (katmai) and try to overclock it on my Abit BH6 Rev 1.0 mobo using latest BIOS (NV). Unfortunately, it freezes everytime i upped the FSB to 112(The least fsb to overclock). OK, i've heard that Intel has implemented some sort of overclocking detection method, where it runs a binary operation on the CPU, if it finds the bus is not running at 100MHz, it shuts the CPU down. In another words, Intel is trying to clock-locked the FSB. Is Tthis the case that i'm facing???
    For your information, i did successfully overclocking my odl PII400 to 504 MHz using 124 MHz(1/4 divider, original BIOS)...and to 448 MHz (112MHz) using NV BIOS. I'm sure my mobo is still fine till today...
    so, help me guys..is PIII600 Katmai unoverclockable???
    (every neccesary action for proper cooling has been taken..)

Further info about my system:
    PC133 64MB RAM
    6.4GB HDD
    GeForce DDR Annihilator Pro
    and the rest are decent hardwares..

------------------
    BA
    BA

Your NOT going to overclock your PIII600 much because the Katmai core's limit is around 600! Some people have gotten their PIII450 to 670+ (aircooled) but they are VERY rare! You should have gotten a PIII600 Coppermine. They hit 800+ easily most of the time.

Actually, the Katmai's are hard to overclock. Especially the 600's since that the fastest the 0.25 micron core can go. Even with really good cooling, you might not yield more then 50 MHz from the chip. Try and find someone who'll trade or buy your processor and get another Pentium III 600 but this time look for the Coppermine core and see if you can get the ones with cB0 stepping. Those go up to 800 MHz easy.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

LaoChe... you must've gotten that in there a second before I did.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Yep, we were typing at the same time.

Intel does not have a Front Side Bus limiter on their chips (yet). Some ENGINEERING SAMPLES have been seen with experimental bus locks, but basically Intel was just testing the feasability of the idea. Obviously they didnt think it was worth it, theyve never sold a CPU to this day thats FSB-locked.

------------------
    This signature space FOR RENT

This signature space FOR SALE

Ok, thankx very much guys..yeah, I think a Coppermine is a very good idea..I just didn't want to buy Coppermine because i don't think Abit BH6 will support it. I just want to ask, which Abit mobo is suitable for Coppermine? Is BX6 Rev 2.0 or BE6 Rev 2.0 okay for Coppermine ? How about Celeron II?
    anyway, thankx again..seems that i have to dig up some more pounds for that Coppa!...

------------------
    BA
    BA

I'm pretty sure a BH6 will support a Coppermine...

I'm absolutely positive that the BE6-II and BF6 support it without a hitch.

Thread Information