P3 and Level 2 Cache Tweaking??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P3 and Level 2 Cache Tweaking??

P3 and Level 2 Cache Tweaking??

Has any 1 Dabbled with the cache settings with any success????

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

do you mean better performance or just the settings actually working? On my Bf6 (which BIOS I forgot) the tweak for the L2 cache latency didn't work for PIII, only PII. But that was back in January (last time I flashed the BIOS).

yeah i gave up tryin on my bf6...never put my 600e in my bx6r2...i'm gonna put in the new soyo 6vca board i got..maybe its got a l2 tweak that really does somethin...
    i got my 566e's today bf6 l2 doesn't do **** once again...boy thats a nice feature...lol

but I was under the impression Cumine has L2 latency of 0.

Yup...NiteOwl is rigth...it has...as a default but it can be set differntly to make it run more stable...0 is the fastest...

------------------
    I Thougth I Saw A Putty Cat...
    * OCN Hellspawn *
    ------------------

Well, If "0" is the fastest, No sense in changing it!!! I just hadn't heard any comments as to tweaking the cache... Hows everyone's system runnin nowadays??

------------------

Well, since you asked:

A couple weeks ago I was doing some general maint./swapping, and my rock solid 600e@800 became totally flakey. The damn thing would lock up while gaming, and also while going to screen-saver at idle.

One of the changes had been updating to the newest drivers for the V3, and backing that off got me a stable system again. It will run all day long again without any unexplained crashes.

There is still however one thing that ticks me off. The icons on my desktop have narrow white lines crosshatching them (H&V). If I reselect, or resize they they clean up, but going into anout of apps screws them back up again. At the next reboot, they start out screwed up again. I also swear that they get worse, with new lines showing up. This all started on that same day. Along with changing the video drivers, and NIC drivers, I had caught up on windows (98se) updates, removed a DIMM, removed a second NIC, played with fans, and maybe done a thing or two which I don't recall.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

BE6/II (RV Bios), 128MB Mushkin Mosel hand select..., V3/2000 AGP, retail slot1 600e@800, SBLive, IBM 13.5GB HD (running off HPT), Kenwood TrueX42.
    Free advice, and worth every penny.

Hmmmmmmm, I'd havta point at the Vid drivers, I run the RV bios also, and the same ram you have, and have never had that prob..... gotta be a video prob I would think.... Have you tried regrouping your icons by right clicking on the lower right on the taskbar/ shrug, that might help

------------------

about those funny looking icons...do you have at least high color (16 bit) on settings? when you run at 256 it looks just really crappy...other than that id say something with the video card?? not sure

either that or cool the video card more??? hell i donno

[This message has been edited by Philly (edited 06-15-2000).]

RoadWarrior, I have had those exact problems in the past with my V3 3k and it was the result of o/c'ing the vid card. I don't know if your card is o/c'd or not, but I can tell you that your prob is definately vid card related. I would either drop the o/c speed or go back to your old drivers personally. Your cpu is fine.

Can you guys tell me where the cpu cache settings are located for a bf6 mobo? Are they the ones at the bottom of the screen where you adjust the fsb speed? If so, I don't remember a setting option of "0". I believe there is either "default", or "1-8"??

[This message has been edited by Donovan (edited 06-16-2000).]

Yup...those are the ones...default means 0 usually?!!!

------------------
    * OCN Hellspawn *
    ------------------

No, it says default for most stable system, and smaller is faster as I recall. I'm not at home right now to check.

According to Wcpuid default = "0".....I think that is the fastest.........

------------------

I agree with the diagnosis of video card/driver problem. The card is not OC'd, I played with powerstrip a few months ago, but didn't see much visual difference. I have an identical card in another system, I think I'll swap them, and see what happens.

On a related issue, I have noticed that the BIOS levels on the two V3/2000s are different, but I don't see BIOS upgrades available from 3dfx; an I missing something?
    Free advice, and worth every penny.

Just my $0.02..

I don't think the L2 latency is zero. I mean...zero cycles? Further, there's reason to believe CPUId is reporting it wrong. Primarily, CPUId reports the Celeron 2's latency as 2 cycles, and the P3's as 0 cycles, yet Intel states that the Celeron2 and P3 have the same L2 latency (although they never disclose what it actually is). CPUId is reporting SOMETHING in there wrong at least, so it's probably misreporting the L2 latency of the Cumine. I doubt it's zero cycles, as it says.

------------------
    "In the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies;
    lies, damn lies, and benchmarks."
    "In the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies;
    lies, damn lies, and benchmarks."

Thread Information