Boy do I feel stupid...and very lucky
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Boy do I feel stupid...and very lucky

Boy do I feel stupid...and very lucky

I have been overclocking for a while, but kinda stopped when I got my Athlon 600. Too expensive and I was kinda chicken, but recently I decided to go for it. I did a little research and found this place. (Which is very informative and quite entertaining too

Anyways, I learned how to disasemble the athlon processor, and went to it very carefully, but, I guess I wasn't careful enough!!! While I was prying one of the clips off to remove the heat plate, I slipped and broke a resistor off of the board.
    Man did I feel like a moron who just made the most expensive key chain in the world!!!

Well after my heart slowed down, and I was done praying, I plugged the thing back in. (I knew it wasn't going to work, but prayed for a miracle anyways...

I was completely ecstatic, when my computer booted up. It seems to be working fine. Unbeleivable!!

I wish I could post a picture to show you exactly what I broke, but I don't seem to be able to get one up, but as you are looking at the back of the bare processor on the right side slightly above the solder points for the cache there are 3 resistors in a horizontal row(I think that is what they are), well the one on the left is missing on mine.

Does anyone have any idea what I can expect from my processor or why it even works??? Is that cache chip going to not work now? is there anyway to check it ???? I would appreciate any comments
    Thanks

Sorry, but I wanted to add a couple of things, first it is a row of 4, I only have three.
    secondly the what I broke off was labeled C108....

That is the only reason I haven't overclocked my athlon, fear of screwing it up. I have a goldfinger waiting too.

HAHAHA I think that was funny and lucky for you.
    My System:
    ----------

Celeron 2 566
    256mb pc133
    Aopen AX6BC Pro
    8x 40x Mata****a DVD Rom
    8x 4x 32x Sony Cd r/rw
    Fastcom Tv tuner
    Aopen Aw744 Sound Card
    Acer 10/100 NIC
    Powercolor 32mb TNT2 M64 w/ tv in/out

CPU_Slayer ... why dont you try brake another piece of that and see whether it still manage to boot
    He heh .. jk

------------------
    cynosis
    cyanosis

What Mobo do you have?? I have an Athlon 700 on a Asus K7M. It's cool. I have the latest drivers and overclocked it up to 800mhz. I haven't touched the CPU or anything. The mobo in jumperless.

Right now it's at 750. No problems. I mostly use it at those speeds on Q3.
    Main Computer Specs:
    Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz 45nm
    Asus P5E
    4gb OCZ Reaper HPC PC6400
    Seagate SATA2 250Gb
    eVGA 512Mb 8800GT
    SupremeFX II Mobo Audio (for time being)
    Wynndows7 Home Premium 64Bit
    Currently playing; Crysis, Just Cause 2, Alien Swarn, Borderlands, and Starcraft 2.

Well if you hit a cache chip, you might be able to overclock it even higher because there is only 1 cache chip that has to be able to withstand high speeds instead of 2. Then again, it may not. Check it and see!
    You people who think you know everything really piss people like me off who really do know everything.
    http://geocities.com/r337m0nk3y/net/smileysex5.gif

All resistors do is lower the voltage of the electricity going through... stuff will still work, but I wouldn't be surprised if the life was shortened
    It said "requires Windows 95 or better," so I installed Linux.

The 'c' indicates the part is a capacitor. That your processor still works backs up that assumption. This cap is likely on page 1 of AMDs schematic diagram. That's a common way to reference parts. A resistor or capacitor on page two might be labeled r2xx or c2xx. Are there any markings on the cap itself (or is it a light brown blob)? You may want to replace it with another cap (even if you can't find the right value) if you have stability problems.

Jough is right, the component will be a capacitor. Most likely it is being used to stablise the voltage supply to part of the chip, as surge protection etc. Its likely to be mounted in parallel to the other components in the circuit, across the positive and negative rails. So it shouldnt have disconnected any other components than itself. Yes, it might become less stable.

------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes.
    I create disasters

Thread Information