1st W/C let down, high temps, can't increase O/C!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 1st W/C let down, high temps, can't increase O/C!

1st W/C let down, high temps, can't increase O/C!

Well I finally finished my W/C system, installed it(no problems there)but I only gained 2 degrees compared to my large generic H/S with 23 cfm fan.I have a feeling it's the custom rad I made. I was hoping to get my K6-3 400@440(AHX core@2.6v 110*4) up to at least 472, but even at 2.7v I was getting registry errors.According to Wcpuid my cpu is a Family-5,Model ID-9,Stepping ID-1, has anybody out there have any luck with this cpu over 450?Thanks for input
    2600Bartty@2284(208*11,1.75V)
    Abit NF7-S 2.0 (BIOS 1.4)
    Radeon 8500 128mb @199mhz
    256MB Corsair XMS 3200*2
    SK-7/Panaflo 32cfm
    WD 80G-8mb cache
    Toshiba 16x DVD
    lite-on 52* Burner
    Viewsonic G90f
    Antec TP 430W PSU

Although I am an avid K6-3 fan, and am jealous of k6-3 owners, I am sad to say that there are some bad points about the chip. Number one is, the on-die cache kicks ***, runs full speed and murders comparable Mhz systems, but that cache running @ 400Mhz is already pushed to its limits. Ever notice how you can get AMDs or most systems to over clock OK, but then once you disable the cache, you can get insanely fast speeds from them? I would put a 70% probability of stable overclocking on the ability of the cache to take the speed. My 500 AMD runs at 600 Fine, but no farther. When I disable the cache, I can boot into windows at 720Mhz. The cache is the good part of the chip, but can also hamper things. Ever wonder why celeies o/c so well? Its because they have the handicapped cache. Not all but some of the cache is missing, making it more stable at overclocking speeds, now granted there are some more key differences(FSB,X-way associations,etc), but cache is one of the main ones. Thats why celeis are so much cheaper too, cache memory is pretty damn expensive stuff. Course you can see this when comparing prices of a 450 PII or 433 Celey and compare these prices to a Xeon 450 with a 2MB cache. You can see some drastic price differences.

------------------
    You give a man to fish, you feed him for a day.
    You teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    You give a man a fish, you feed him for a day.
    You teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    OR some comparable advice:
    If you make a mistake once, thats human; If you make the same mistake twice, you're the only fool.

hey Mach,

I am having a hell of a time getting my K6-2 to even go to 550 without errors. I have decent cooling (GlobalWin) and taken it up to 2.6v which still doesn't help. I guess my question is will the performance on an application like Seti be better with say 600mhz and disabled cache or the current 500 mhz and enabled cache? We are talking on die also right? My Soyo 5EMA+ board has 1 MB of L2 if that makes a difference.

------------------
    Cassis Extract = smell of cat piss
    Cassis Extract = smell of cat piss

Thread Information