Overclocking Athlon 700Mhz
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Overclocking Athlon 700Mhz

Overclocking Athlon 700Mhz

I just bought an Athlon 700 and the golden orb cooler for the athlon. Now I just have a few questions before I start overclocking:

I'm gonna use the Goldfinger card to overclock the processor(Please let me know if you know any other that would be better)
    I don't know if I should just cut a hole for the goldfinger or I should rip of the entire casing and if so how am I going to mount the cooler on the processor I know that it's gonna be alot cooler without the casing. Also there will be no support on the motherboard for the processor when the cassing is off is that gonna be a problem?

Am I going to have to raise the voltage for the processor when I'm just overclocking the multiplier?

How high can I expect to overclock the 700Mhz version of the Athlon? I heard that I could reach 450Mhz on the L2 Cache and their by running the processor at a nice 900Mhz the Golden Orb says that it's good for at least 1Ghz

Also please let me know what experience you have with your overclocked 700Mhz Athlon

My System:
    Athlon 700Mhz@???
    Epox 7kxa motherboard
    IBM 20GB HDD, Maxtor 20GB HDD
    Asus V6800 DDR
    128 MB 133Mhz Apacher (gonna add 128 more)
    SB Live!

Thanks!!
    -T-Bird 1200Mhz 266FSB
    -Abit KT7A-Raid
    -256 PC133 Apacer
    -Asus V7700 Geforce2 GTS
    -SB Live Player
    -2 IBM 45GB 75GXP (Raid)
    -40x Asus
    -Plextor 12/10/32A
    -Sony CDP-E400P 19"
    -10/100 Realtek
    -MouseMan Wheel Optical
    -A-open HQ-08
    -Enermax 431W PSU
    -Win ME

Hey, I have that same mobo, I hope to really overclock soon too. Right now, it is just overclocked by changing the FSB, which for now is fine by me. I have an Athlon 800 mghz.

------------------
    "Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"
    "Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"

How high have you set your fsb?
    -T-Bird 1200Mhz 266FSB
    -Abit KT7A-Raid
    -256 PC133 Apacer
    -Asus V7700 Geforce2 GTS
    -SB Live Player
    -2 IBM 45GB 75GXP (Raid)
    -40x Asus
    -Plextor 12/10/32A
    -Sony CDP-E400P 19"
    -10/100 Realtek
    -MouseMan Wheel Optical
    -A-open HQ-08
    -Enermax 431W PSU
    -Win ME

I'm gonna use the Goldfinger card to overclock the processor(Please let me know if you know any other that would be better)
    There is no specific card called a Goldfinger. There are many different goldfinger cards out there, some better than others. The ones which I've heard are the best are at http://www.k7oc.com and at http://www.ninjamicro.co.uk

I don't know if I should just cut a hole for the goldfinger or I should rip of the entire casing and if so how am I going to mount the cooler on the processor I know that it's gonna be alot cooler without the casing.
    Take off the entire casing. The plate which has the mounting holes for the cooler is not attached to the casing, it stays on the CPU.

Also there will be no support on the motherboard for the processor when the cassing is off is that gonna be a problem?
    There will be support from the slot which the Athlon plugs into. That should be enough. I assume you are worried becuase it will be smaller than the URM's(the things on the side of the CPU slot)? The slot should provide enough support.

Am I going to have to raise the voltage for the processor when I'm just overclocking the multiplier?
    It depends on how high you go. You will probably need to adjust the voltage if you want to go very far.

How high can I expect to overclock the 700Mhz version of the Athlon? I heard that I could reach 450Mhz on the L2 Cache and their by running the processor at a nice 900Mhz the Golden Orb says that it's good for at least 1Ghz
    When you take off the Athlon's casing you will be able to tell what core it has. If I remember correctly, the 700's have a core of usually 800. This means that's it's really kinda like an Athlon 800 in disguise. You should have no trouble reaching your core speed. From there on, it's unpredictable. All CPU's are different. Guessing I would say you could hit 900 or above.

Also please let me know what experience you have with your overclocked 700Mhz Athlon
    I have a 700MHz Athlon and I haven't done anything to mine yet. But with the few I have worked with they have been able to hit 900 easily, but usually requiring a small voltage increase. I made two reach 1GHz, but that was with lots of cooling and a little bigger voltage increase. Past 1GHz is pure dumb luck as far as I'm concerned.

Hope I answered all of your questions.

- Casey
    Athy 700@950, 1.85v, KA7-100
    Home-built Plexiglas case w/300w p/s
    ATi 64MB Radeon VIVO & All-in-wonder Pro 8MB
    Sound Blaster Live! Platinum w/ Klipsch Promedias
    Pioneer 10X DVD-ROM and Ricoh 8X/4X/32X CD-RW
    IBM 34.2GB 7200RPM hard drive
    256MB Crucial PC-133

Thread Information