FAN RPM CONTROL??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: FAN RPM CONTROL??

FAN RPM CONTROL??

Can someone tell me if there is a way to control what RPM my fans spin? I dont really want to control the voltage either. I mean like software, or some kind of bios setting. I have an ASUS P2b 440bx. I want to crank up them rpm to about 6000 each.

There's no way to run fans at higher RPMs without supplying an increased Voltage to them. There's no software that does it nor is there a BIOS setting that does it. (not to my knowledge at least).

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

Well, i have this software called hardware sensor monitor. It has options to put fans atr full throtle when the temp gets to a certian spot. I havent seen it work, but it claims to do it.

Titan2782:
    Had it on my old BM6, worked great, when the temp was below 30 C the cpu fan went down to half the speed, the noise was greatly reduced, under 27, the fan stopped! Of course it spinned up again when the temp raised.

------------------
    There are those who stink, and those who use deo, But I, for one, refuse to choose between the two!
    (No offence Xriz =)
    http://badsector.mainpage.net/

that to me suggests there is a way!!??...maybe someone with programming talents...

------------------
    I Thougth I Saw A Putty Cat...
    * OCN Hellspawn *
    ------------------
    I Thougth I Saw A Putty Cat...

If I'm reading him right, what he wants is to basically 'overclock' his fans. Is that included in that program?

------------------

This is the thing, that program just takes advantage of APM features. These calls are all handled by the BIOS, and your motherboard has to support these settings AND all these fans must be connected to your motherboard.

These settings simply reduce the voltage delivered to the fan by 1/2 or turn off the voltage. I seriously doubt there is an option in the BIOS to overvolt your fan.

But if youre into getting your hands dirty and modding your power system, I believe there is a -5v lead on the ATX connector. Now placing the +12v on the red wire and the -5v potential on the black wire of your fan creates a +17v potential, but I seriously doubt anything but a high quality fan could take this. Plus you would have to soder a lead out the back of the ATX connector.

------------------
    This signature space FOR RENT

This signature space FOR SALE

Or do what I do, use a 120mm fan at 7v to give good airflow but quieter opperation.

A general rule is a bigger fan running half speed wil be quieter than a smaller fan running flat out and also supply better air flow.

Bladerunner, I got the impression from his post that he wants to "overclock" his fans. He just wanted to do so without messing around with wires, something you really cant avoid. So I suggested the easiest thing he could possible do, and it will pump his fan voltage from 12v to 17v, not 7v.

------------------
    This signature space FOR RENT

This signature space FOR SALE

The P3B-F does (dont know about the P2B)have "Smart Control" at least thats what I think its called. I dont use it but it regulates the voltage through the software and does lower the RPM if its not hot. What I noticed is the RPM would lower but within a couple of minutes it would be right back up to full speed. Thats with the system idle, so if you ask me it doesnt work very well.

I would increase the voltage or upgrade the fans.
    If it ain't broke, tweak it!!

my Abit has the same option I think...

but it also has a thing to have the HS run full speed all the time and not slow downn
    whatever

MadCat

Point taken, but my reply was meant to be an alternative idea, as the end result appears to be the search for better or greater cooling.

Running fans at 17V would probably lead buying new ones pretty soon anyway and does seem like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut as I hate to think how much din they will make.

Titan2782, I think the concensus is that there's no software that can increase the voltage to your fans and or increase the RPMs that they run at. Remember that the 4 pin leads from the PSU supply 12 volts. And you would certainly need to splice wires to get them to supply anything more then 12 volts.

------------------

I have a 120mm AC fan that pulls about 130 CFM but sounds like an airplane. Does anyone know where I can get a dial or switch to cut the current to it so I can run it at half speed? Thanks

Thread Information