Athlon PS question
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Athlon PS question

Hybrid View

Athlon PS question

I've been trying to get my Athlon750 system up and running but I can't get the video (or anything else for that matter) to initialize. I am wondering if I might be using too small of a Power Supply. Currently I'm using a 250 watt supply which I was told where I bought it that 250 would be enough. The power supply is also not on the list of AMD approved Power Supplies, is it important that I have one of these listed units?

Thanks
    There is little truth in men but much cunning. - Peter the Great

What kind of video card are you doing??

if you are using a Gefore and a Athlon together, that may be the problem since they are both power "hogger"

salt

my basic config that I've been using to test with is as follows
    250watt PS
    ABIT KA7 mobo
    ABIT Siluro TNT2Ultra AGP video
    K7-750 CPU
    128MB PC100
    I have using an old Diamond PCI video card for testing as well
    I've tried varying configurations of HDDs and CDROMs as well

tell us what the problem is exactly

Alright,
    I just picked up all the pieces for my system a couple weeks ago, when I got everything plugged in and I turned the system on the fans turned on and the HDD spun up but I got no video. I played around with it for a while and then called up my friend, between the two of us we've fixed a lot of systems so I figured two heads are better than one. We swapped out video cards and HDDs and cables and everything we could think of. Occasionally we could get video when the case was on its side but when we'd turn it off to turn it upright it stopped working again. We tested all my parts in his system and they all tested out fine, we sent the mobo back to the retailer and they sent it back saying it tested out fine. I got some ceramic-like washers w/ my mobo, are they meant to be used when I attach my mobo to the case chassis?

TY

Those fiber washers can go un-used as most modern ATX mobos have isolated screw holes that won't need to be insulated with those washers. Using them adds additional safety to your install but they are not critical/essential anymore.

Check to see if you are shorting out your mobo with your mobo tray somehow. If you see nothing apparent, remove all the screws and check for something lodged under the mobo and then replace the mobo using those fiber washers.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

I'm re-reading this thread and the PSU comes to mind as being the next most possible problem. Athlons are power hungry and will demand a quality PSU otherwise they may not power up and or not perform stablily.

Also check to see that you removed any mounting nuts (typically brass finish) from the mobo tray that are not being used to mount the mobo on to.

------------------

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

Thread Information