What FCPGA cooling to use?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: What FCPGA cooling to use?

What FCPGA cooling to use?

Hi all

Intro: I am a big overclocking fan for some time now. And a lucky one. It seems that every overclockable CPU I had was o/c-able right out of the box with no additional cooling, on standard voltage specified.

Now I have C533A-FCPGA, and plugging it into Chaintech6BTM puts it immediately out of specs, as you cannot go lower that 1.8v on this particular board.

Please recommend a cooling solutions for me!

Notes:
    1) I really do not like how the heatsink fits onto the chip. It is touching only one side of it, and supports itself on the raised core. Is there a heatsink which would not have a flat bottom, but a 'dent' so that it doses not hurt the chip?
    2) How do I know how hot is too hot? I do not belive the thermal readings BIOS does, but rely on the trusty ol' hand. If the heatsink cannot be held for long, it's too hot. Right?

Rgds

Running the new Celermine at 0.3V over spec is borderlining on risky but some have done it to great success (800-900+MHz). Watercooling and peltiers come to mind if you want to run at 1.8 - 1.9 volts to ensure ultimate stability. Otherwise, invest in a top of the line air-cooler such as the Alpha PEP66 or the Global Win FDP32 and nothing less.

As for 1 - Get a copper spacer to sit around the raised chip so the surfaces line up.

Check em out at http://www.3dcool.com

And as for 2 - That's a fairly decent indicator but note different CPUs have different optimal operating temps. CuMines for example should run cooler then Athlon (classics).

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

Big thanx

And just for the record:

1st time I plugged the CuMine into the board, I forgot to check the voltage (stoooopid!). It survived at 2.05v for almost an hour.

Either it is a very, very good chip, or I am extremely lucky.

Rgds

Whoa.. 0.5 volts over spec. If I were you I would have fell down on my knees and thanked God that it didn't burn up! Maybe it's both? Luck + a good chip?!

------------------

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

These chips are really resilient. I run mine at 1.85v with no problem, and I have a friend who had an accident similar to dstih...ran her celermine at 2.2v for a few minutes, but it still works fine 875 @ 1.7v

Oh yeah, for cooling I recommend the Thermaltake Aircooler Socket (Golden Orb). Its powerful, fairly quiet, and sits perfectly flat on the FCPGA chips due to its unique mounting bracket. Besrt of all, its half the price of an Alpha + fan!

------------------
    This signature space FOR RENT

[This message has been edited by MadCat (edited 06-10-2000).]
    This signature space FOR SALE

Yeah, regarding resilence...

CelerMine is specified ad 1.50v, which is under the CuMine core specification at 1.65v. And they HAVE to have say 10% tolerance on top of that. This means nothing should happen to the chip at 1.80v

Hopefully...

hehehe... resilient... mine survived the smoldering thermal sensor right next to the core
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

1.8V from the default 1.5V...That's 0.3V above spec and more than the supposed 10% tolerance given by Intel. The reason that the Celeron2 uses only 1.5V compared to the Cumine's 1.65V is that it has less on-die cache meaning less transistors so less needed wattage to run it.

This therefore means that 1.8V will be within the tolerance limit of the Cumine (which uses more wattage) but not necessarily the Celeron2. I hope you plan to purchase a top-notch FC-PGA cooler in the very near future since running that Celermine at such a high voltage will really decrease its lifespan.

Yeah, a top notch FCPGA cooler in Croatia!

At this point, I am planning to buy another power-supply-type fan and glue it on the side of the power supply so that it blows directly over the heatsink.

Any suggestions what else to add? Bear in mind that hi-tech solutions are either a no-no locally, or a month away through shipping.

D.

Thread Information