550 athy or 700 i will oc....
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 550 athy or 700 i will oc....

550 athy or 700 i will oc....

the question is my buddy is buying a new mobo and chip....he is getting an abit ka7.i want to know which chip to get.we will be getting a gfd and ocing it to as high as possable. so whats the better value ocing the 550 hoping we get near 800mhz or ocing the 700 and hoping we get near 900 mhz.and if someone knows how to change the cache devider pls send the link to the software...thanks
    9inch penis @ 5inches
    supercooled

well I dont know about the chip question but I know there in no software to change the cache speed. you need to go in and do some soldering to change the cache.

-------------
    Time is money.
    How fast do you want to go?
    If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long will it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a cucumber?????

I would wait a month and see how the duron or tbird perform before buying an athlon or slotA mobo. It might be possible to change the multiplier, and not all old slotA motherboards will work with them

Athlon 1Ghz AXIA Stepping
    Abit KT7a Rev1
    256mb generic
    CL GTS 32ddr
    Vortex 2 (2048)
    GXP60 20Gbytes

forrest2012: Wrooooooooooooooong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the Abit KA7, you can use the BETA42 bios, and change the cache divider! www.bxboards.com had an article about it, im using it now, and it works great!!
    Go into bios and set whatever divider you want.

------------------
    There are those who stink, and those who use deo, But I, for one, refuse to choose between the two!
    (No offence Xriz =)
    http://badsector.mainpage.net/

Seer there's only that much you can hope to acheive with a FSB over clock. Athlons are running on DDR Bus speed, therefore you can only boost FSB speeds to a certain extent. Often cache speeds are also a limitation. Typically you can expect a 10% CPU speed improvement with FSB only tweaks. 700@770MHz is typical. However, invest $20-35 on a GFD and together with FSB tweaks, you can take a 700 to about 850-900+MHz with the cache speeds adjusted.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

A system error has occurd
    Open mouth Insert foot .

sorry guys ( or gals )
    I was grosly mis informed . I have been doing some research on OC ing athlons and I guess I dident see this one.
    I shall now spent sevral days in the corner praying to the athlon OC god pleading for forgivness

------------
    Speed is money.
    How fast do you want to go?

[This message has been edited by forrest2012 (edited 06-10-2000).]
    If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long will it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a cucumber?????

storfe man thanks for this link its just what i was looking for you couldnt have helped out more bravo!!!!
    9inch penis @ 5inches
    supercooled

Most 550's now are 550 and AMD has started putting the correct speed cache ( no more 750 cores with 3.1 NS cache now you get a 550 core and 3.9 ns chache the 700 most likely will be a 700 week .18 with 2.85 NS cache however some are coming with 800 and 850 cores and 2.8 ns cache now.. the abit ka7 support cache divisor with the RY bios on their ftp... that's what i use in my system. for about 40 bux diffent in most places i would get the 700 beacause you may end up shafted with a 550 that will only go to 600 or 650. most of the 700 have the fastest cache of the athlon's ( 350 mhz while the gig only has 333 mhz) since most of the athlon 700's on the market now are .18 you should be able to up the voltage ( in the bios of the abit ka7 as well) a couple of notches and get at least 800 out of it by tweaking the FSB no goldfinger needed.. using a GFD you should be able to get on to 850 setting the cache to 2/5. Good Luck.

Thread Information