Celeron 566 o/c???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Celeron 566 o/c???

Celeron 566 o/c???

How much can ur celeron overclock to??
    I hv heard that the most is 952
    2.1V at 54degrees

That would pretty much depend on your cooling, but a lot of the 566's is running beautifully at 850. with some hefty cooling I would guess it's possible to run them well above 1GHz.

I just ordered one of these my self, and hope to run it at 1000-1200MHz.

Duckman

------------------
    Visit my homepage:
    Duckman's Wild Page
    Site Content: Overclocking, cooling and a lot of BS about Me, Myself and I.
    Sorry, I didn't hear you, I was staring at your breasts.

Hey Duckman,

I am currently running a Celeron 533A at 824 (8X103). It will boot fine at 112 fsb and run OK for anywhere from 10 to 40 minutes then it freezes. I have stepped the voltage up by 0.05 volt increments to 1.95v but the same occurs. It is worth it going up higher? LG says I probably need some better cooling, ala water, versus the Alpha PEP66 I have now but I'd like your opinion on the subject too.

Thanks

------------------
    2-ethoxy 3,(5 or 6) dimethyl pyrazine = Roasted Hazelnut
    Cassis Extract = smell of cat piss

If the PEP66 is a socket type HSF I'd say that LG is right. You could make it with a slot1 cooler(cause they're bigger), but you'll have to do some modificaions on both slotket and HSF....or you can build a watercooler. A watercooler would get you much farther than any heatsink, that's for sure!

I managed to run my 466 at 700 with a slot1 Alpha and a 58W TEC, but it didn't run that stabe. With the watercooler, I'm at 735 ROCK stable. Hell, I've even had it in windows at 750 once!!

Duckman

------------------
    Visit my homepage:
    Duckman's Wild Page
    Site Content: Overclocking, cooling and a lot of BS about Me, Myself and I.
    Sorry, I didn't hear you, I was staring at your breasts.

fellows-
    i apologize for the digression, but -

my cel533a is at 800 at 1.5 volts. does this seem unusual? the system is completely stable. just curious.
    ezekiel 25:17

Seems very low to be stable, i find running half-life is the true test, when i dont give it enough voltage i can often play quake2/3 but when it comes to half-life will crash unless i give it that extra 0.05v
    I'm on celeron2 533 at 900mhz (1.95v) atm, with a pep66, just bought 2 powerful 80mm case fans which has dropped my case temp quite a lot, so now a lot more stable at this temp, but i dunno how it will fare under hours of seti, overheat i expect.
    800@1.65volts i have rock solid, and 1.6 stablish (not half life etc) and 1.55 bit dodgy.

[This message has been edited by Utini (edited 06-07-2000).]

Utini- mine seems fine playing unreal. i'm going to borrow half-life from a friend and see what happens.

I was able to boot my celermine 533 into windows @ 800MHz, 1.5v, and it seemed stable, ran Quake3 fine. But then I tried Prime95, instant crash! .5 more volts fixed that. I would rather be safe than sorry as far as stability goes, and thats why I love Prime95...if your CPU can run it without crashing, its stable...no question.

Download Prime95 here, first it will run some tests. Once its done with that, stop it and select Torture Test.

ftp://entropia.com/gimps/prime95.zip

As far as voltage goes, I run my celermine at 896 @ 1.85v with a socketed Thermaltake orb. These little chips seem to take high voltages like theres no tomorrow, I have a friend who accidentally set the voltage to 2.2 for her 566 while tweaking it, and although the casing got a little singed shes running it solid at 875MHz now. But I do think that if 1.95v wont do it for you, its probably your cooling. The Alpha should be enough though, but it could be your mounting. make sure the Alphas in good contact with the chip, and that you dont have too much grease in between.

------------------
    This signature space FOR RENT

[This message has been edited by MadCat (edited 06-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by MadCat (edited 06-07-2000).]
    This signature space FOR SALE

My 566 can hit 876 at 1.65 volts. I had it running at 892Mhz at 1.7 volts for about 10 minutes before it crapped out. I think I will up the voltage slowly and see if 892Mhz is any more stable, if not, I am content to stay at 876

By the way, do any cel II owners here have rubber feet or copper shims around the core? My heatsink isn't sitting very securely on the cpu.

well, in that case, you should get some!
    Some heatsinks, like the new FCPGA-designed Alphas, come with little feet attached. Some Heatsinks like my golden orb dont need shims due to their design.

------------------
    This signature space FOR RENT

This signature space FOR SALE

thanks for the link MadCat... i'll check it our right about now.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

this link seems to work better - i kept getting 'temporary network error' at the entropia link.

To get my FKP32 to sit stable on my Celeron 566, i just cut 2 pieces of foam and put them in line with the retention clip, one on each side of the core (and not touching). Seems to do the trick.

Check www.overclockers.com (they have a CPU database with some nice overclocking results).

Thread Information