P3 450... hot or not?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P3 450... hot or not?

P3 450... hot or not?

I have a Pentium III 450 CPU running at normal speeds (not overclock). My motherboard is a ABIT BE-6. The CPU reaches 29 degress C rather quickly and it stays there (with CPUIdle enabled). Without CPUIdle, the temperature goes up to 31 degrees celsius.

Is it normal to have a P3 450 running at 29 degrees C? Or should I replace the fan or get better cooling in the case? (keep in mind I didn't overclock it and is using the fan that came with the P3.

Any thoughts on what the normal temperature should be?

[This message has been edited by intercoms (edited 06-06-2000).]

It depends on what your room temps are. For a Katmai PIII, a CPU temp at LOAD of about 7-10C above room temps is normal. 29C is at idle or at full load?

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

29 degress C is just at idle... I don't know the temperature at full loads...

I guess you're right about the fact that the CPU temp depends on the temp in my room...

If 29C is at idle, try getting the temps at full load. Running multiple zip/unzip files/Q3/UT/SETI/Prime 95 to get 100% usage and for about 30 mins and get the temps at load. My guess is that they should be about 36-37C and while that's slightly warm, that's well within normal/safe limits for a Katmai processor. Consider adding a second or third case fan to your case and tie down ribbon IDE cables to the side of the case to improve airflow.

------------------

Wow, thanks for the tips! There are really some experts here...

Oh, one thing, can you tell me the different types and speeds of P3 processors? and what's with the 440 chipset and 810 chipset? I hope someone can clear this up for me

[This message has been edited by intercoms (edited 06-06-2000).]

The Katmai core PIIIs are up to 500MHz and run a 100MHz FSB only and come in Slot One formats only. They also have 512kb of off-die cache that runs at 1/2 clock speed. The Coppermine core PIIIs are from 500MHz up to 1GHz and come in FCPGA (Flip Chip) as well as Slot One formats and run at either 100MHz FSB (designated E) or at 133MHz FSB (designated EB). They have 256kb of on-die that runs at full clock speed.

Take a look here -> http://support.intel.com/support/pro.../sspec/p3p.htm

------------------

Dude, 29C is a nice temp! I set my friend up with a Katmai PIII450@560 and its temp idle is 31C and gets up to about 44C playing games like UT and QIIIA (He keeps his freakin' apartment hotter than HELL)! And with temps in the mid forties his system is ROCK stable. Intel rates the Katmai's MAX temp at 90C (you'll start having problems at around 60C though). So your temps are fine, don't worry about them.

LaoChe makes the point of how with aircooling, your CPU temps are a consequence of your room temps. His buddy with the desert climate room has his CPU at 40+ since his room is so warm.

------------------

hehe...ya it sure is freakin' "desert climate!" And this ain't no retail heatsink on his PIII. He has a GlobalWin but aircooling can only cool a little bit above the room's temp.

Thanks for all your input! I guess i'll let my P3 run at 29 C and stop worrying!

While the ball is rolling here, can anyone tell me if if this problem can be fixed or if you know anything about it:

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/006786.html

S_Klass

A slight correction as the Katmai's went to 600mhz, and if you get a good 450mhz they will o/c to at least 600mhz with a good heatsink (Alpha) some get 650mhz or higher with active cooling. I have a 450 here at 600mhz 26 to 29C (using the Win 98 MSidle) and around 42 max under load. SL35D or SL37C were known to be particulary good versions and all you should require, (other than the heatsink) is ram that will run at 133mhz and a graphics card happy at 89mhz (voodoo 3, Geforce) if you have a 2/3 max AGP divider, some newer 133mhz chipset mobos have a 1/2 AGP so you can run everything in spec and just o/c the CPU.

Try putting your HDD on the normal motherboard connector and rerun that test and you should see a slight improvement. You thought your test was bad, when I had my UATA/66 card in it gave me 2.1Mb/sec. When I connected it to the motherboard, it gave me 19.4Mb/sec. I don't know what it was, but it worked for me when I used the onboard controller.
    You people who think you know everything really piss people like me off who really do know everything.
    http://geocities.com/r337m0nk3y/net/smileysex5.gif

Whoops. Thanks for the correction.. Was typing that wayyyyy too late last night.

------------------

OverclockingAddict, my motherboard has a built-in ATA 66 controller, and my ATA 66 HD is plugged into the mobo...

Any other suggestions? What utility do you use to test your hard drive?

Thread Information