Flash Bios crash..is it scrap???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Flash Bios crash..is it scrap???

Flash Bios crash..is it scrap???

A mate just brought around a TMC mobo that "crashed" half way through a bios flash. He waited an hour but nothing changed and so he turned it off. It doesn't do anything now so I said to him it's probably toast, Yes?? unless you can get a new bios chip.

anyone know different

Hi BLADERUNNER, I got your mail today, thank you sir Try www.benchtest.com I think he has a page describing how to "hot swap" bios chips.

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

try to clear/reset CMOS. if not, take out the mobo battery out for a few mins. as it powers the CMOS.

sometimes this works....the rest of the times...it doesn't

good luck.

If u know any body with the same mb then u can hotswap the nackered cmos into the working booted system and reflash it, ive only done it once on a bp6 and that worked.

BTW does it make a difference if the BIOS is shadowed when hot swapped. I would've though that it would need to be?

If the motherboard won't respond, and you can not find a bios chip to hot swap, contact the manufacturer of the board,... they will most likely sell you a new bios chip with the latest bios already programed on it. At least Abit and Asus will. (the cost is worth it!)

P.S. #1 rule of updating bios... Never turn off power during bios update.

BR!

Here is the hot link:
    http://www.tweakmax.com/html/hotswap/hotswap-1.cfm

So easy it's fun, and it works.

Kind regards,

Kash

WAIT!

you may still be able to reflash dont do the hotswap until all hope is lost....

99% of the time the boot block is NEVER updated.. try placing a old ISA video card and just a floppy drive nothing else. mkae a bootable diskette on another machine that will automatically flash the disk after bootup as you may not be able to use the keyboard. Flip it on and let it sit.. it may take up to 1/2 hour to boot up.. but it had never failed me i have flashed the completly wrong bios to something once and i got it back...

You should have what is called a BIOS jumper, and it will have 2 settings
    1:Normal Mode
    2: Recovery Mode

You need to get a copy of the bios, or an older version of the bios, set the jumper to Recovery mode, pop the disk in with the bios on it, and boot up, you will get NO screen, just 1 beep to signafy that it is loading the bios, and 2 beeps when it is done, remove the floppy, shutdown, and put the jumper back to Normal mode. Now bootup.

------------------
    Phiber Optik-
    Digital Realm-
    Phiber Optik-
    Digital Realm-

Hotswapping solved it thanks all, and my mobo doesn't have the recovery mode jumper so If you can't get to floppy drive use you are screwed unless you have another bios rom

Thread Information