Lookin bad, .... any expert help?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lookin bad, .... any expert help?

Lookin bad, .... any expert help?

On the current OC'ing computer I have, this is it's setup.

PII 400
    Abit BE6
    Hitachi DVD (ATAPI)
    256MB Micron 8ns PC100 ram
    Diamond Viper V770 Ultra
    Ensoniq Audio PCI
    Floppy
    Epson printer and Visioneer scanner (USB)

There is no fan setup for the CPU as it is an OEM pull from a HP.

Anyway would getting a better HS/Fan setup help in OC'ing this slug? It is not multiplier locked until 4X, but I can use anything below that. Right now it is running @ 400MHz (3*133). It also runs at 434 (3.5*124) and at 420 (3*140). Sometimes while at 420 it locks up while using Sandra, but never anytime else. Anyway I conder it unstable. Could be because of the memory since it is only PC100 @ 8ns, but I do not know.
    Does anybody think I can get it upto 532 with better cooling?

------------------
    "Windows 95: 32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to
    an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,
    written by a 2-bit company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition."

@ 140 MHz FSB and using 8 ns RAM, it is highly probable that it is your RAM not hacking it. Before I had a PII 400 on a Alpha 3125 HS and a Frost 74 peltier and I got up to 560 Mhz (140 X 4).

Thanx again NiteOwl, can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between SECC1 & SECC2? I have a MC1000 peltier cooler setup with the MC1500 upgrade, but it does not properly lay on the CPU.

------------------
    "Windows 95: 32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to
    an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,
    written by a 2-bit company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition."

[This message has been edited by Rand (edited 06-02-2000).]

"It is not multiplier locked until 4X, but I can use anything below that. Right now it is running @ 400MHz (3*133)."

Rand, that is weird (or is it me??) I haven't seen any PII400 that isn't multiplier locked. Are you 100% sure on this??

Just curious.

Duckman

------------------
    Visit my homepage:
    Duckman's Wild Page
    Site Content: Overclocking, cooling and a lot of BS about Me, Myself and I.
    Sorry, I didn't hear you, I was staring at your breasts.

A friend of mine's got a P][233 which isn't locked until its rated 3.5X multiplier, so I guess it's possible.

Rand, your two main problems are
    1. your PC100 ram (140MHz is quite a stretch!)
    2. your "heatsink" Get something better for it! Cooler is always better

------------------
    Ich bin eine wienerschnitzel !
    Carpe noctem!

some quality PC100 8 ns RAM can hack it, I had a stick of Seimens 128 MB like that, but yeah, not all 8 ns can hack it. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I decased my PII 400 also. The holes on the PCB lined up with the holes on a PIII heatsink, that's why I was using a P3125 on a PII 400. Also Intel didn't start locking CPU til around 300+ Mhz. My sis has a PII 266 that is also multiplier unlocked too. But I haven't seen much PII 400 that is unlocked ... not impossible, but indeed rare.

The quick and dirty way to tell the difference between a SECC 1 and a SECC 2 is that the SECC 1 comes on PIIs from 233-450Mhz and the SECC 2 comes on PIIIs from 450MHz to 1GHz. Physically the interface looks the same.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

Well I am positive the thing is unlocked below 4x, however above it, it is. It was a pull out of a HP Pavilion 8290, perhaps I just got a screwed up CPU, a rare one, or that is how HP sends their 8290's, either way it accepts all multipliers below 4x.

So what kind of HS/fan combo would you all recommend for it? Basically put, I can not find a SECC1 HS if S_Klass is correct. Maybe someone has a link to guide me.

Originally posted by NiteOwl:
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I decased my PII 400 also. The holes on the PCB lined up with the holes on a PIII heatsink, that's why I was using a P3125 on a PII 400.
    The Alpha P3125 was meant for secc2, or PIII's. If you decase your PII 400, you can pretty much use any PIII heatsink you can find, and they are pretty abundant.

Supplies of PII HSFs are drying up quickly as they haven't been in production for a little more then a year now. Try these links for a decent selection pf PII HSFs->
    http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/2/87.htm?764

http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/2/98.htm?764

http://millisec.safeshopper.com/3/324.htm?742

http://www.coolerguys.com/CPUCOOL/athlon.htm

------------------

NiteOwl, you are right, the holes do line up. However cache is a problem, the SECC2 does not go over the cache chips and when I put it on while not over the cache, my system crashes and locks up instantly.

do you mean the L2 cache chips are not in physical contact with the heatsink? Sorry to hear about your crashes, maybe I got lucky

PS. I dunno if my memory is serving me correctly, but I don't think the heat transfer plate on the SECC1 package made physical contact with the L2 cache chips either ... but that was half a year ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy

Hey Rand, just one question ... did you up the Vcore voltage? anything less than 2.2 is okay unless you are having thermal problems ... anything lower without compromising stability is even better.

It doesn't, there's dead air in between the thermal plate and the L2 cache chips, even worst there's an 1/32" indentation on the thermal plate over the L2 chips which prevents an aftermarket HSF from making full contact with the area over the chips. I finally got pissed and injected thermal transfer compound to fill in the dead air on both sides of the cache chips.

------------------

That I did, I tried everything upto 2.3 volts. I think it is just a HS/fan issue (possibly memory, but it is totally stable at 133FSB, so I don't think so). I just do not think this thing will not go that high, I mean correct me if I am wrong here. But let me put this one up in the air. With aftermarket cooling it may be possible to get 4*133. However without the cooling, wouldn't it make it into windows or linux before it crashes? If so better cooling should fix that right?

O.T. This is my first OC'ed computer. I fried my second one, a P233MMX @ 350 (3.5*100) I did not have that good cooling for it. I think that is why it went out.
    But at least I made that little go-cart into a shifter cart for month .

Thread Information