OT: Dual booting 98 and W2K
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: OT: Dual booting 98 and W2K

OT: Dual booting 98 and W2K

Ok from what I read at tweak 3d, you basically install win98 on the first partition, pop in the win2k cd, install that on the second partition, then install all your apps and make sure you have the drivers for both OS's. Beyond creating the actual dual boot though, how exactly does it work? Does the computer essentially boot into 2000 and then you have the option to switch, or it switches when you play games, etc.? Just wondering exactly what goes on in a dual boot. I hear Win2k is really nice, but I'm a gamer as well, so I'd like to use both 2k and 98 if possible...Thanks guys!
    Riiiight...

Actually, you just pop in which ever boot disk you feel like using at the time. At least, I think that's how it works...
    You people who think you know everything really piss people like me off who really do know everything.
    http://geocities.com/r337m0nk3y/net/smileysex5.gif

Hey

Actually u pick it in dos when the comp start up it will give u a menu and u choose which operating system u want. i just did to today! but i am having problems with IE in Win2000 locking on me does anyone have this prob? if not i will just install it again.

------------------
    "Man, if i had a penny for every time someone ask me if i wanted to have wild money sex, i would have -1 penny!" The most popular man in my school!

ICQ # 25960556, will talk to anyone

Inventor of the PMP, Phunk Master Phreezer.
    Abit BP6, Dual 366@550, 128MB RAM, 13.6GB WD 7200RPM ATA/66, Voodoo3 3000AGP OCed to 183Mhz

So pretty much I'd use W2k for normal stuff like business apps, and normal internet usage, and then have to reset the comp to play games? Ick...
    Riiiight...

well haze, if your computer is somewhat up to date it won't be a problem at all. I dual boot between win2k and 98se and I'm loving it. I use win2k for day to day cruising, office apps and SETI, and when I want to play some quake, UT or Q3 I just reboot into win98. that's the only time I have to wait for it to reboot because when I'm done playing I just reboot and 2k comes up automatically...and loads 2 instances of SETI

------------------
    FREESTONE...interested?

FREESTONE

Running a k62-400 at 504 in my box right now, but just last night I ordered a celermine 566, BF6, and Abit Slotket...heehee, should be plenty up to date. So how are you guys liking W2k, it worth it?
    Riiiight...

Hey

Well i fixed the prob in my Win2K it works now thank God! now the Dual boot is working perfectly! It is actually one of the nicest setup i have had. i use dual boot becuase i have a BP6 and run Win2K becuase of the dual CPUs it runs some games and all of the apps it is worth it my man.

------------------
    "Man, if i had a penny for every time someone ask me if i wanted to have wild money sex, i would have -1 penny!" The most popular man in my school!

ICQ # 25960556, will talk to anyone

Abit BP6, Dual 366@550, 128MB RAM, 13.6GB WD 7200RPM ATA/66, Voodoo3 3000AGP OCed to 183Mhz

dual o/s = *****
    Ctrl_C

Thread Information