copper WB question metal heads
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: copper WB question metal heads

copper WB question metal heads

ok I have been making AL waterblocks for a bit. I was thinking about copper. how much more heat transfer does copper do over AL? is it worth it? and what is the average thickness of your waterblocks?

------------------
    jopecooler industries: We aim to mame, sever, and dice up any extremitity you have left to use. And if you have Ziplocks we will package it to go!

HWC - OCN Drinking Active List. 67864797
    Quake 3 arena Acitive List. 70498309
    HWC/Force3d active list. 57497564
    whatever

check this out:
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles141/

------------------
    Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?
    Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

EpoX 8RDA+
    AMD Barton 2500+ @ 3200+ (2.2ghz)
    1gb Corsair XMS pc3200
    Visontek GeForce 4 Ti4200
    WD LE 80gb 7200rpm HDD
    Sony 48x24x48x IDE CDRW
    Soundblaster Live! Audigy
    Logitech Cordless MX Duo

well I have the AL now. need more practicin with it before I step up and order some copper.
    whatever

This is my Copper Water Chamber (that is almost finished. Sorry for the basic diagram:-

It was a solid block that I removed the center section from and will fix a top a bottom copper cover plate, one of which will be the hot plate, that when in use will have water or coolant flowing across the opposite side to the peltiers. In theory this should remove the heat created very efficiently, I hope

Copper conducts heat almost twice as well as aluminum. I found a chart online somewhere-I think I was searching for "thermal characteristics metals" or something like that. Interestingly, brass is piss-poor despite being mostly copper.

Jopey...how do you drill out your waterblocks?
    Ctrl_C

Ctrl_C

I know you didn't ask me but I've a bit of experience as far as Copper goes, (and I drilled the Centre section out of the water chamber) it is much harder to drill because it is so soft.

You need to get the drill speed slow, have a sharp drill bit and use a lubricant like 3 in one to stop the copper overheating and melting. If this happens the drill bit can stick and snap leaving you in a whole world of ****.

I also had to put that block of Copper in cold water every so often as it would suck so much heat off of the drill bit I couldn't touch it!!

Aluminium is much easier, but a pillar drill is a good plan for straight holes

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 05-26-2000).]

umm how about a Drill!!!

seriously I use a drill press. and bladerunner! was that copper clamped to the drill press or something? cause the metal should not have gotten that hot when u drilled it out. I drill the AL and it never gets warm. I mean I can touch it and it won't burn me fingers!

u should use a 2 fluted milling bit, they are sharp as a razor.

------------------
    jopecooler industries: We aim to mame, sever, and dice up any extremitity you have left to use. And if you have Ziplocks we will package it to go!

HWC - OCN Drinking Active List. 67864797
    Quake 3 arena Acitive List. 70498309
    HWC/Force3d active list. 57497564
    whatever

jopey

Yes I was using a pillardrill, but don't forget how big that piece of copper is and I was drilling one hole after the other with a 4mm drill, so it was heat build up after 10 of so holes. It just underlines how good Copper is at removing the heat from the drill bit. There is also different quality grades of Copper and this stuff is just about the best you can get .

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 05-27-2000).]

ok so how do you know what grade of copper ur getting and where is the best place to get it. I have been looking @ onlinemetals.. this a good place or bad place?
    whatever

ok..here's the numbers Copper has a thermal conductivity of 384 W/m*K and AL 220 W/m*K

well that makes no freakin since to me. mind tellin me what the forumla is there! been out of skool a while ya know
    whatever

Thread Information