Hmmm... Hot Peltier?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hmmm... Hot Peltier?

Hmmm... Hot Peltier?

Ok... I just ordered the ICE-71(p) pelt... But that one sure needs good cooling...
    What is enough??
    Now I use a GlobalWin FDP32, do I need another one or is that one going to do the job? Can I lower the Volts for the pelt if the temp gets to high??

ugh!

The GlobalWin will do an adequate job but keep in mind you will have to improve your case cooling also or the peltier will raise your case temps significantly and defeat the overall purpose of a TEC/peltier

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

Great! I thought the FDP32 wasn't enough...
    What do you mean "improve case cooling"??
    More air in and less out, viceversa or equal air in/out??

My setup now is a 80mm fan blowing in and a 120mm fan + a "Just Cooler" with 2x20mm fans sucking the air out. Any suggestions?
    ugh!

What ever you do keep the amount of fans sucking and blowing balanced...less noise more cooling...

------------------
    I Thougth I Saw A Putty Cat...
    * OCN Hellspawn *
    ------------------
    I Thougth I Saw A Putty Cat...

Take a case temp before you use a TEC/peltier and take the case temp again while you use a peltier. Take both temps after 100% CPU use (SETI/UT/Q3/Unzipping/Zipping/Prime) and when the room temps are about the same. You will find that the ICE puts out quite a lot of heat into the case. Therefore, I recommend you find a way to increase your intake fan size to 120mm or a combination 2 or 3 80mm fans in the lower region of the case for intake. And consider a case top blow hole, piggy-backing a second 80mm fan on the PSU for added exhaust. With your exisiting 120mm exhaust fan that should be enough.

------------------

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

I used an Ice-71@12VDC on a celeron 366@550 and it did not cope very well....

Kebo
    C:
    C:RUN
    STOP LOOKING AT MY :

Mbeach

What CPU? I have a ICE 71 (potted) on an Alpha P3125 cooling a PIII 700 @ 988 usually around -3C at 12volts and case temp of 26C to 28C.

I do have moe than a few fans, but before you go to all that expense and trouble, just leave the covers off to start with. Make sure you have enough fans to give good airflow across the heatsink fins, as a peltiers performance is directly related to how effectively you can remove the heat.

They do create a lot of heat and you will also require a Coldplate. A peltier mounted directly onto a CPU will not work efficiently, if at all.

repost if you need more on cold plates

where can I get a coldplate if I needed one? I bought a peltier from a friend who didn't have a coldplate and now I don't know where to get one. I have never seen one for sale seperate from the peltier...

------------------
    FREESTONE...interested?

FREESTONE

www.onlinemetals.com

get 1/8 inch copper plates. cut it to your likings. Should work beautifully.

------------------
    Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?
    Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

EpoX 8RDA+
    AMD Barton 2500+ @ 3200+ (2.2ghz)
    1gb Corsair XMS pc3200
    Visontek GeForce 4 Ti4200
    WD LE 80gb 7200rpm HDD
    Sony 48x24x48x IDE CDRW
    Soundblaster Live! Audigy
    Logitech Cordless MX Duo

The best coldplates are made of copper and you can make one out of a piece of plate. Metal stockist, (there is an online site but I can't remember it, step foward TNproud2B).

Check the yellow pages or you can use aluminium if not and although a larger size is better one at least the size of the peltier (so it covers the whole ceramic surface) with a minium thickness of 3mm.

If you can make it bigger all the better, but space may become an issue.

You will also need to seal the cold surfaces to avoid condensation/moisture problems.

Having said all that above, and it will work if you do it right. water cooling is the best way to remove peltier heat.

Is it just me? but I'm really getting pissed off with these "posts not showing" thing

Check here:-

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/000194.html

Thread Information