WAY Off Topic/ DSL or Cable????
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WAY Off Topic/ DSL or Cable????

WAY Off Topic/ DSL or Cable????

I know... but we do help each other ..... OK I can get DSL here/ not sure on Cable yet/ whats better/ more reliable???? Also, Internet Explorer or Netscape???? Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, but I know I'll get answers here / Thanx in advance

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

IMO, that's a hard question to answer. I dont think anyone can flat out say, cable is always better, or DSL is always better. It depends on your area. In my area, cable is faster and cheaper than DSL...so I use cable. But I know of others who can get DSL way cheaper, and way faster. IMO, grab whatever's cheap, fast, and available.

Also, I use IE. Netscape is too slow - and you miss out on some web-effects and stuff sometimes.

------------------
    "In the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies;
    lies, damn lies, and benchmarks."
    "In the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies;
    lies, damn lies, and benchmarks."

IE is slightly quicker but then that's actually somewhat of an illusion. IE displays the page and THEN formats it (that's why you'll see a page twitch and jump just before it's 100% done in IE), while Netscape (never twitches or jumps) formats the page BEFORE displaying it. To get to the same finished page, they both run similar times.

I have cable and I'm happy with it. Security is more of an issue with cable as it's essentially a neighbourhood LAN but with some internet smarts you'll be fine. And thats not to say xDSL is 100% safe either.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

Thanx for the replies, I've heard the Horror stories ot supposed "Techs" botching up the job of the install..... Whats involved? Usb modem? What... I can get ameritech/ which is my phone provider, for $39.95 a month, and free install and modem, Is it a decent deal , or is ameritch botched// ya ya I'm clueless

------------------

Cable usually comes with less hassle. If all you want it for is web surfing, go with cable. The download is incredible for cable, but the upload is usually capped at 128 kilobits. DSL is easier to botch.
    You people who think you know everything really piss people like me off who really do know everything.
    http://geocities.com/r337m0nk3y/net/smileysex5.gif

I'd say DSL is the way to go. I've got DSL and I have had next to no downtime over the last year or so. Friend of mine with @Home keeps losing email every other weekend or so.

The other advantage of DSL is that the bandwith is all yours. While it's dependant on your distance from the Central Office (closer is better), you don't share the bandwith with other DSL users in your neighbourhood. Depending on the time and the server I'm connecting to I can get download speeds from between 100-115KB/sec. Upload speed is capped at a crappy 14KB/sec, but unless you're uploading huge files to a webpage it's more then ok.
    Costwise it's a toss up, in my area it's about $39.95/month (Cdn) for either service.
    We're running PPPoE for getting IP addresses assigned. It's a bit of a hassle compared to the DHCP server that used to assign IP's, but there are benefits. You get a new address each time, so no one hardcoding an IP can lock you out. You don't have the DHCP server going down and preventing you from getting an IP. It adds a bit of overhead to the packets but not enough to be noticable.
    Don't forget to grab a program to tweak your network settings, since they're defaulted to values for dial up modems, changing them will allow higher speeds. The one I like is PPP Boost. Nice and simple. The values I've set are
    MaxMTU=1480
    RWIN=32120 and TTL=64.

let me know if you want any more info.

Rick

------------------
    Celeron 366@550 2.25v, Asus P3V4X, 128mb Crucial PC133
    Matrox G400 32mb DH, Maxtor 10.2GB, Fujistu 4.2GB, Creative 24x, SB Live X-Gamer, D-Link NIC
    Duron 750@847, Asus A7V133, 256mb Crucial PC133 CAS2 at 150,
    Matrox G400 32mb DH, Maxtor 10.2GB, Maxtor 15.2 GB, Plextor 8/4/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB Live X-Gamer, D-Link NIC

I would say IE is way better...Netscape always freeze on it...that *****!!!

Um...depends on the upload usage, if you uploads a lot, get DSL, way way better than cable, but if you just simply d/l, get cable, they are sometimes 3 times as fast...(depends on the traffic).

I have SDSL, which is very good enough for me...

salt

Hmmmmm I will need the info/ but I will post that later, Thanx very much for the input/ I think I'll order the DSL as it is available here... Thanx again

------------------

I live in Ill, Lar, go to www.telocity.com to see if you can get DSL service in your area. They have 1mb/1mb SDSL service for $50.

salt

Well first tell me what you are getting for $39/m (download\uplaod speeds)?

I say, DSL ALL THE WAY! The GREAT thing about DSL is that your connect stays pretty dang constant. Whatever time you get on you'll be running at high speeds. Whereas with cable it depends how many people are on at the same time in your neiborhood. If you are the only person on your block that has cable your speed will be SUPER but now you know that won't last for long as more people start getting cable too. With DSL you don't have to worry about that. What you get now is what you'll alway get (pretty much). I have a 1.5Mbps down \ 128Kbps up and it is freakin' AWESOME. I'm paying about $39/m and I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO DIALUP! I can get 6Mbps down \ 384Kbps up but that is $200/m! OUCH!! But my speeds right now are fantastic and UT plays like you are on a LAN.

That's the one problem with switching to DSL, you can never go back. I'm now limited to moving to where I can get highspeed access. Can just see some poor realestate agent trying to get the information I'd need.

------------------
    Celeron 366@550 2.25v, Asus P3V4X, 128mb Crucial PC133
    Matrox G400 32mb DH, Maxtor 10.2GB, Fujistu 4.2GB, Creative 24x, SB Live X-Gamer, D-Link NIC
    Duron 750@847, Asus A7V133, 256mb Crucial PC133 CAS2 at 150,
    Matrox G400 32mb DH, Maxtor 10.2GB, Maxtor 15.2 GB, Plextor 8/4/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB Live X-Gamer, D-Link NIC

Well/ they state 384 kbps to 1.544 mbps for DL'n, and 128 kbps for UL's... that any good??? I'll check out the Link salt Thanx

------------------

Cable kinda sucks, I have to share my freaking bandwidth with SOOO MANY PEOPLE!!! Plus I have @home cable which is very very slow. I also get the worst Half-Life pings on earth. Even at about 2 am i get somewhere in the 300's!!! Thats not playable!!!!

Go DSL or T1/T3. You'll pay dearly but the bandwidth is worth drooling over.

------------------
    Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?
    Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

EpoX 8RDA+
    AMD Barton 2500+ @ 3200+ (2.2ghz)
    1gb Corsair XMS pc3200
    Visontek GeForce 4 Ti4200
    WD LE 80gb 7200rpm HDD
    Sony 48x24x48x IDE CDRW
    Soundblaster Live! Audigy
    Logitech Cordless MX Duo

T3?

why not Fiber cable...

salt

Lar, thats horrible. Don't do it.
    You people who think you know everything really piss people like me off who really do know everything.
    http://geocities.com/r337m0nk3y/net/smileysex5.gif

Thread Information