BP6 = Slow
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: BP6 = Slow

Hybrid View

BP6 = Slow

Seems to me like my BP6 is slow. Its a dual celey 500 setup, 128MB PC-133 running WIN NT.

I run SETI, 2 WU's at a time, 1 on each CPU. Takes 18 hours to finish. My BX6 v.2 celey 333 finishes a WU in 11 hours. Whats up with that?

Also games are slow (not that many work under NT) and I cant even get Winamp to work. It just freezes after about 10 seconds of music. Yay...

Guess I should have spent the money on a PIII instead.

Anybody got any ideas or comments?
    Long Live The BP6!

Well, I've been having a similar experience with mine. bp6, dual 366's@550, 128meg ram. Seti with one instance per cpu and same ****.
    havent tried and games, but winamp seems to work allright, a little slow in changing songs, but functional.

Under the process manager make sure you have set SETI to low priority. Then it won't fight with Winamp for processor. As for speed, are you running the i386 NT client?

------------------
    www.crosswinds.net/~areyoubored

Updated May 2, 2000
    It said "requires Windows 95 or better," so I installed Linux.

Hey

Seti has a prob under WinNT and win 2000 does it not? it is in the readme file. Just though i might mention it to see if it is any help, what rev is your board?

------------------
    "Man, if i had a penny for every time someone ask me if i wanted to have wild money sex, i would have -1 penny!" The most popular man in my school!

ICQ # 25960556, will talk to anyone

Inventor of the PMP, Phunk Master Phreezer.
    Abit BP6, Dual 366@550, 128MB RAM, 13.6GB WD 7200RPM ATA/66, Voodoo3 3000AGP OCed to 183Mhz

I'm sure with my luck my revision is the bad one. All I know is its the BP6 with the metal ZIF socket levers, dont know if that helps.

Winamp freezes even if nothing else is running? I dont know why, all my other sounds work. Games and windows sounds 'n stuff. Hate NT, want 2K, or even better yet 98 with SMP. That would pretty much rock.

I'm using the commandline version of SETI for NT, all settings are right, its just slooooow. Well I guess even 18 hours /2 is 9 hours per WU, but I want 12 hours /2 instead!
    Long Live The BP6!

I'm running dual 500mhz in win2K and the new winamp (2.62 i think) froze. So I installed an old one 2.10 or something at it works great so just take an old winamp and se if it works

I wonder if a bios flash might be in order??

Sterling_Aug Guest
    My dual Celeron 533's @ 624 MHz right now under Win2K and running an RC5 distributed.net client on each processor is exactly proportional to the client processing speed of all of my other machines. I am running the latest "approved" BIOS, and I do not run SETI, but it seems like you have something worng if it is NOT running faster than that.

Ok, my board has plastic cpu levers...
    It said "requires Windows 95 or better," so I installed Linux.

Hey

Guys do u know when the new rev of the BP6 started production, is it close to 6 months ago? So the new ones have metal levers? Mine has metal levers i hope nothing is wrong!

------------------
    "Man, if i had a penny for every time someone ask me if i wanted to have wild money sex, i would have -1 penny!" The most popular man in my school!

ICQ # 25960556, will talk to anyone

Abit BP6, Dual 366@550, 128MB RAM, 13.6GB WD 7200RPM ATA/66, Voodoo3 3000AGP OCed to 183Mhz

warhorse, you're lucky, your plastic levered bp6 is rev 1.0, before the manufacturing flaw with the 1.1. You can check your Rev on the last isa slot, facing down on a white sticker. (i stuck a cd under and pointed a flashlight at it to see what i had just wasted money on)

Basically what is wrong with the rev 1.1 is that the VTT voltage is not steady at all, check in your bios chipset features for vtt voltage, if it hangs steady at 1.5 +/- 0.04 then yuo're fine, if it moves all over the place from 1.4 -> 1.7 etc then you've got trouble.

Apparently ABit began fixing the boards in the most recent manufacturing of the Rev 1.1. The old 1.1's that i have the misfortune of buying can be fixed by a simple and cheap soldering procedure that steadies the vtt voltage and pretty much makes it uncrashable (as in from the manufacturing flaw). Check outthis BP6.com messageboard thread to get instructions (go to teh last page tho, the first fix isn't as efficient as the second posted by 'somethingburning').

Another person has said that a bios fix is coming out tomorrow (may 17), boy i really hope so. I'm thinking of returning my bp6 and getting a be6-2, but i'm gonna wait out my 14 day return to see if anything materializes

[This message has been edited by spa.ere (edited 05-16-2000).]
    specs:
    Dual Celly 533
    Abit BP6
    512MB RAM
    Asus v6800 DDR Pure 64MB
    2 * 40gig maxtors in RAID
    2 * 15gig maxtors in RAID
    1 * 20gig maxtor

Thread Information