dreaded bp6 problems, anyone w/ bp6 or knowledge please help!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: dreaded bp6 problems, anyone w/ bp6 or knowledge please help!

dreaded bp6 problems, anyone w/ bp6 or knowledge please help!

okay, i researched, figured i may as well get a bp6 as my new motherboard. not oc'ing yet, why? because i ahve been up since 5 pm the night before, (it's now 5:45 am), setting up this hellridden piece of junk. AGH! after hours trying to install with this hpt66 controller and no luck, i had to resort to switching all my cabling to return to the 33 controller.. now i'm finally in win2k, and once in a while, there's a sudden high pitched squeal coming from my speakers and my computer locks up. I hear it's from the vtt jumping madly.

I do have a rev1.1 board sadly, and i just need someone to tell me how to monitor VTT voltage or what it is, because i see nthing like it in mobo monitor. anyways, i'm off to bed now for an hour before school...
    specs:
    Dual Celly 533
    Abit BP6
    512MB RAM
    Asus v6800 DDR Pure 64MB
    2 * 40gig maxtors in RAID
    2 * 15gig maxtors in RAID
    1 * 20gig maxtor

just to bring this to the top and to mention a few more things.. when i run photoshop and say winamp at hte same time, it dies, goes to that odd high pitched squeal over the speakers... arg, someone help! over at bp6.com the forums are very disorganized, or mayb ei'm just too tired..
    specs:
    Dual Celly 533
    Abit BP6
    512MB RAM
    Asus v6800 DDR Pure 64MB
    1 * 20gig maxtor

What about the rest of your system?

Sound card etc.?

You may need to check your resouces for bus mastering and IRQ conflicts.

Check the BP6 manual. It explains what IRQ's are assigned to your PCI slots and why you cannot have something like your sound card in the same slot that shares IRQ with HPT366..

It could be any number of things... You are going to have to go through a process of elimination by starting out with a bare-bones config and take it from there a step at a time..

P.S.

What does this have to do with overclocking?

[This message has been edited by Diogenes (edited 05-15-2000).]
    "If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

yea my sblive is sharing an irq with the stupid hpt366... gonna have to change that. nevertheless, the vtt is flailing about, if i just open photoshop and try to create a file of 150*150cm, @ 150 dpi, it'll just reboot my computer (a test to watch the vtt just fly all over the place).

I was just really disappointed to find out that it was an actual manufacturing flaw and the only thing i coudl do was to solder a voltage regulator onto the board... was hoping some people had some info on an upcoming bios that might fix it.

In terms of overclocking, i used to be on a bh6, and now i'm on my bp6 and want to make it stable enough so that i can actually start oc'ing a dual 466 config which would be pretty neat and i plan to pick up socket370 waterblocks from #rotor and some ice-71's to really get things going for once
    specs:
    Dual Celly 533
    Abit BP6
    512MB RAM
    Asus v6800 DDR Pure 64MB
    1 * 20gig maxtor

Sounds like you are on your way to getting it fixed.. I have heard of the voltage problem, but did not have it myself.. Sold my dual 366@550, and now have BF6 with C2 566@850..
    "If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

Man, SBLive! makes so many problems...

I just blew mine up when I booted my C2 533@992. Now it is sitting in pain in my dresser. I put my onld Inland 120 voice Isa card back in to appease the IRQ gods. God it sounds awful!!!!

------------------
    Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?
    Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

EpoX 8RDA+
    AMD Barton 2500+ @ 3200+ (2.2ghz)
    1gb Corsair XMS pc3200
    Visontek GeForce 4 Ti4200
    WD LE 80gb 7200rpm HDD
    Sony 48x24x48x IDE CDRW
    Soundblaster Live! Audigy
    Logitech Cordless MX Duo

ugh, i just ripped out my sblive too, sitting in a bag on my desk right now, i coudlnt' handle 14 uncalled reboots with the squealing... now all i have is my vid card and ethernet card, maybe i'll get some FREAKING homework done now i am very much considering this junky rev1.1 board and getting myself a be6-II as i'm also having problems with the hpt366 controller too, i can't install any OS's when my hdd's hooked up to the hpt366... ugh why is it so buggy... anyone with rev 1.1 have the same experiences?

otherwise, someone please give me a well thought out mobo suggestion, supports fcpga, lotsa fsb's (hm, smIII looks quite appealing ), stable... does not handle irq's in the most miserable manner that the bp6 does..
    thanks a lot
    specs:
    Dual Celly 533
    Abit BP6
    512MB RAM
    Asus v6800 DDR Pure 64MB
    1 * 20gig maxtor

i have bp6 system. i notice that sblive and specially if you have network card tend to have problem what i did was i install the network card first and than the sound card, now it works fine for me. i had my system for 4 month now, 366@550. i have dual boot system, win98 and win2k advance server with 256 meg of ram. in win2k is where i do all my graphics, i run ps, illustrator, premiere, director, flash, homesite, dreamweaver and everytthing seen to work. if you want more info on my setting let me know.

If you are still having problems with setting up HPT66, this is what I did:

1. If you are using NT, go to START : SETTINGS : CONTROL PANEL. Go into SCSI Adapters, and choose the drivers tab. Click add, and have disk. Pop in the ATA 66 disk that came with the motherboard, reboot, and you are done.

2. If you are using Win98, then repeats those steps in device manager. I believe Win2K is done the same way too.

I have been running ATA66 since day 1, and have no problems with it at all.

------------------
    Dual boot Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and Windows 2000 Professional
    ABIT BP6, Celeron 366a @ 458, 320mb PC-100 RAM, WD 30.7gb 5400rpm, Sony 6x DVD-ROM, Yamaha 4416S, ATI Rage Fury 32mb, SB Live! Value, 3COM 3C905 Fast EtherLink XL, Sony 19" GDM-400PS

the main problem i had with the HPT366 (i'm not even using it now) was installing windows2000 onto a hard drive hooked up to the controller, it would start copying files hten just halt...
    brainplug, do you have a bp6 rev 1.1 or rev 1.0? (it shows version on the last isa slot, white sticker)

specs:
    Dual Celly 533
    Abit BP6
    512MB RAM
    Asus v6800 DDR Pure 64MB
    1 * 20gig maxtor

well now ive got bp6 problems!
    it was running fine till this thread cam up, grrr

anyway I have a dual 466's 128Mb RAM running on win 2k I had some problems with a share trading program (Metastock) which kept crashing, I ended up reinstalling it which didnt fix it so I re installed everything, including flashing the new beta bios
    anyway now i have lost a processor!
    the bios will detect it but the OS will not!i went back to the previous bios (QY I think) but it does not help
    anyone else have this problem?
    it is kind of frusterating
    Cost price computer parts www.spathi.com
    (I'm not kidding)

Thread Information