This is important please guys..
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: This is important please guys..

This is important please guys..

Right here we go>>

I said i would build a PC for my manager.
    I've had alot of experience building them and my dads an engineer for compaq.(he gets 60% off some stuff)
    Anyway i'm looking to spend round 600

including:-

Monitor
    (actual pc)
    printer epson 670
    scanner a mustang or sometthin cheap?

anyway it needs to be somethin on the lines of k6-2 500 128 32 tnt2 yer?

its for her 17 year old daughter

i need reliable safe bits just gimme the name of a decent board etc ok thanks.

I've asled u's cos you willl have more experience with different brands etc.

Thanks guys

------------------
    ooo god, no I can't.. well I supppose I could buy it..

I'm assuming you mean the brand 'Mustek' for the scanner. If your dad can get complete Compaqs cheap why not go that route?
    If you must build, any Super 7 board from Asus, EPoX, AOpen, Shuttle will be fine. I've used the EPoX MVP3G2 and GiGaByte GA-5AX before and found them both to be satisifactory.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

Get an ABIT VA6 mobo- superstable,although not the greatest performer - check out www.hardocp.com for a review of it.

A celeron or celeron][ would be your best bet. They simply can't be beat for price/performance. I wouldn't use K6-x's, cellies are way better.

Get some decent PC100 or PC133 ram, try to stay away from the cheapest stuff. 64Mb is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM! Try to get 96 or 128mb if you can afford it (It's better to have 96mb decent ram than a 128mb stick of crap)

An IBM harddrive would be the best, but if the system isn't going to be overclocked get a 5400 rpm WD, they're cheap . Check the cooling though, my 7200rpm WD died on me because of heat

For the graphics card I'd suggest that you check out pricing on Voodoo3's. They're decent cards contrary to what a lot of people say. If you can get a GOOD TNT2 card for the same price then I'd suggest you go with the TNT2 though.

An SBLive! shouldn't cost too much these days, about 500kr here in Norway (about 60$), I'm personally a fan of the MX300

Hansol's 710P is a great 17" monitor at a really good price, a friend of mine has one. 1600x1200 is actually usable on it unlike many lesser 17 inchers.

Get a decent keyboard and mouse too. After all, they're the most direct link between the user and the pc.

As cases go the Aopen HX45 is ok although it's not excactly exciting. Check out the HQ45 models too if you'd like a little color

A decent cdrom (ie. not the cheapest you can find) is a must-have, while the choice of a floppydrive is something you can do blind-folded.

I don't think I've forgotten anything now...hope this helps

Oh and...about the Compaq's. I hope your dad doesn't take offense of what I'm going to say but...crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap! There...I've said it.
    I work part-time for a local electronics shop, in the service department. We get in a lot of Compaq's there, and boy am I tired of those machines...actually I think your dad would agree - all the people I work with hate Compaqs (The presario series mind, Compaq do make some decent servers).

Hope you find my advice helpful
    Carpe noctem!

thanks man your da best!

Compaq's ain't that bad..

We've just aquired a p2-450 wif 64mb and its like **** off a shovel...
    and its the smallest quietest box i've used.

HAVE YOU HEARD OF THE NEW WILD FIRE SYSTEM FROM COMPAQ...
    OOHH BABY
    THEY WORK LIKE THIS...
    EACH PROCESSOR 8 IN EACH BOX CAN ACCESS ANYTHING ON THE SYSTEM AT ANYTIME IT LIKES (850 MHZ A PIECE) REGARDLESS OF WHAT ANYTHINS DOING.
    IT HAS ABOUT 4 GIG OF RAMBUS TO SUPPORT IT AND EACH PROCESSOR CAN RUN A DIFF OPERATING SYSTEM...
    THERE MORE AL ASK ME DAD IF YA'S ARE INTERESTED
    LET ME KNOW..

CHEERS AGAIN!

------------------

why
    There are those who think, and those who dream, But I, for one, refuse to choose between the two!
    Xriz`s Place

why what?
    Originally posted by Xriz:
    why

------------------

why what?
    Originally posted by Xriz:
    why

------------------

If you get them a Compaq and it works fine then sure They're ok. But as soon as something goes wrong, and you have to come over to fix it...well lets just say that the next time you buy a pc the Compaq won't spring to mind quite so easily

Again - no offense to your dad whatsoever
    Carpe noctem!

Thats ok D|sElMiNk man..

he knows what **** they r but when they do workkkkk they do it well..

did you know that compaq hand there reject memory to kingston???

and that compaq are total twats?

when me dad worked for digital (now compaq) they could have anything they wanted near enough but now (cut backs) n sackings...

------------------

Thread Information