Lemur needs help with dodgy Athlon setup...
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Lemur needs help with dodgy Athlon setup...

Lemur needs help with dodgy Athlon setup...

Hi- I built a new Athlon system the other day- it's called Galaxia.

Anyway- I thought the system would be great for overclocking-

Athlon 950
    Abit KA7 Mobo
    Geforce 256 DDR
    512M Apacer PC133 CAS2 RAM
    Sound Blaster Live
    3com 10/100 NIC

The trouble is that the KA7 seems not to like my cheapo Apacer RAM. If I set what I considered to be optimized but not overclocked settings, i.e. CAS2, RAM @ 133, Mobo @ 100, AGP 4x plus all nice AGP options the thing won't even POST!

I twiddled and twiddled, (and it helped wiring up a switch to the clear CMOS...) I worked out the following:

If I up the voltage 0.05v to 1.85 then I can set all the options, including RAM @ 133, but can't have CAS2 set. I can't even have CAS2 set if I up to 2.00v(!!!!)

I can have CAS2 and all the other options maxed out at just the default voltage, (even setting the core speed to 110Mhz)- but the RAM@133Mhz requires 1.85v, no question about it.

Not only this, but the Geforce display looks really wobbly at 1600x1200 if you look close up- and it never did on my TNT2, AND not only that but all keyboard and mouse activity pauses for about 0.5 sec EXACTLY every 5 sec... (!?!?!?!?) (I thought this might be either the Smartdoctor for the Asus Geforce card or the Hardware monitor for the motherboard but no- I nuke them and still I get the effect)

Can anyone help?

P.S. Is it more dodgy to OC the core speed to 110 (leaving PCI at 33) or to OC the core voltage to 1.85? I only ask becuase I get near identical Quake3 scores between 2 setups, where setup 1's feature is core@110 and CAS2, and setup 2's feature is RAM@133, voltage@1.85.

huh,, are you going to get GFD? your 950 athy will do 1G easy, set you core V to stock 1.8, leave the FSB alone and set the ram to cas 3. if you get a GFD then you shouldget about 1100+ outa your athy, as for the Gforse card i duno what to tell you. i would get the gfd, and set the fsb to maybe 105 or leave it.. keep the pc133 speed though it's alot better.
    iAMDking
    "Is it worth it to give your heart away, and live for a great period of joy, risking the chance to have your heart broken? If your heart does get broken, was it worth it to give it away? - Me"

Problem is I don't want to hack apart the Athlon to use a GFD just yet, and I don't know if you misunderstood my point a bit (no criticism, just the way I explained it- prolly) BUT the system won't even POST with RAM @ 133 Mhz UNLESS I up the core voltage to 1.85v. I blame the KA7, since I have all 4 RAM slots installed, and it is known to be picky about this...

------------------

hmmm APacer 128MB SDRAM was recently reviewed in a big SDRAM shootout by a hardware site and was ranked as a surprise 'High=Performer'. Surprise because it's not a well known brand of SDRAM and high-performer because it on CAS2 setting it was consistantly stable at or over 140MHz and at CAS3 setting it was consistantly stable over 150MHz.

------------------
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.
    -=S_Klass=- I tweak... therefore I am.

Proud Member of the OCN Hellspawns Genome Fleet
    TeamID: 567443298
    OCN Genome FAQ | OCN Genome Stats

Thread Information