Why RAID?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why RAID?

Why RAID?

What is the purpose of spending $100+ on a RAID controller card? I can see no point to it. Use Win2k, and use software RAID.

Unless you're running a server, there is no real reason for it. Or is there something I'm missing here? I know it's a faster, but not so much that you need to go spend $100.

------------------
    I don’t know how I got here… I was only looking for the washroom.
    brainsoft, XiBase Alumni.

"I don't know how I got here, I was only looking for the washroom."

I have heard that hardware raid is more reliable, faster, and uses less cpu time. The ATA66 raid cards seem to be worth the price considering that to get the best transfer rates you must have a dual 66 channel interface which you must buy separately with most motherboards anyway.
    I am thinking of doing SCSI RAID. Any advantage worth the price here?

------------------
    MooOoo!
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q

OK, first off, software RAID is ****! Your going to be using resouces that are much needed in running 2000 (NT does RAID also). Secondly you CAN NOT do RAID 0 on your boot drive! That means your boot up is not going to be any faster. If you are going to do RAID, it needs to be done by hardware! I have a RAID card and the performance is great. Instead of getting a SCSI card and SCSI HD, I just have two IDE HDs and a RAID card. I got all of this for the price of one 39160 SCSI card!

If you say so, but does your hardware handle RAID 5? With RAID 0/1 you only get speed or safety, not both. No parity support, etc.

How about if I'm running software RAID on a dual Cel 400 system? Lots of power to through around.

------------------
    I don’t know how I got here… I was only looking for the washroom.

Ask TN he used software raid and the consequences where all but good.

How so? What problems did he encounter? I've not seen him around in a day or two. i've contacted him on iCQ.

Brain, NT and 2000 (software) will NOT do striping (RAID 0 and RAID 5) on the BOOT drive. Software is also not as reliable. If something were to screw up in your OS, guess what? YOUR SCREWED! In hardware your OS doesn't even know it is set up as RAID (whatever). Like I said, it is the difference between playing a game in software mode and hardware! If you like software mode in games (which just sucks an ***), then have at it with software RAID.

Oh and for home users that want performance, RAID 0 is your best bet. All you need to do is get some cheap HD and back up your data every so often. RAID 5 will only help if one drive goes OUT. I have 2 20GB 7200RPM IBM HD running in RAID 0 and a 10GB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracuda for my backup. All I do is ghost my RAID drive to my backup and if I have ANY problems with my primary drives, I just format them and move the data from backup to primary and I'm done in about 10-15mins (depending on how much data needs to be transferred).

Well, I dont use RAID, because its too expensive. The reason that I think anyone uses ATA66 RAID is because you get 10,000 RPM U2W Scuzzy performance, but I really dont think it matters unless you are doing really intensive tasks such as 3D rendering or editing very large images in Photoshop, or if you are running a server.
    Just using normal ATA-66 like on-board the BP6, you get the performance of about a 7,000 RPM UW SCSI drive, I think its something on average like 34 MB/s transferred realistically.
    IMO, RAID doesnt matter unless you are running a server or doing LOTS of 3D rendering of large files, and photoshopping large .jpgs.

------------------
    Please don't provoke the poor people..........
    Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

Actually, IDE RAID performance is BETTER than SCSI in some ways, and WORSE in others. In terms of pure transfer rates, IDE RAID (0) will hands down beat a single SCSI drive. But in terms of seek and access times, a single fast SCSI drive is still way better. Whether those killer transfer rates will make any difference to you personally depends what you do really.

Hardware RAID is definitely more reliable and convenient, and doesnt consume nearly as much in the way of CPU power. IMO, the $100 for the RAID card is a far better way to go than software RAID. Course that's just my opinion.

------------------
    "In the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies;
    lies, damn lies, and benchmarks."

Just give me an link/page where to buy a good Raid 66 card ! And some manufacters homepages !

------------------
    *** The worst investment u can do is a buy a new computer, buy some stocks isntead ***
    ftp1. Antec PLUSVIEW1000AMG, Abit AT7 v1.1, XP 1800@2300 0,13u, 512MB TwinMOS PC-2700 cl2
    ftp2. Antec PLUSVIEW1000AMG, Abit AT7 v1.2, XP 1800@2300 0,13u, 512MB TwinMOS PC-2700 cl2
    backup. Chieftec Fulltower, Abit KT7A-R v1.3 XP-M 2000+ 3x256MB TwinMOS PC-166
    Workstation. (Not yet ready)

Read HWC's review on the front page! (or here.. http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardw...eviews/1746/1/ ) Those are the only two ATA66 RAID cards on the market at the moment. The rest are SCSI (or Promise's old ATA33 RAID card).

------------------

If your not concerned about a hit to processing power then you really don't need a RAID, hardware or software.

RAID doesn't increase the speed of everyday windows use, as the system is made up of thousands of small files. Therefore the biggest factor is the seek timing of the drive and a RAID seek will be the same or higher than just a single drive.

RAID really comes into play when dealing with large files, such as databases, video, graphics, 3D work etc.

If you use these kinds of files regularly then you should be concerned about the CPU power as all of these require significant processor power to search, decode, manipulate, render etc.

------------------
    www.seven-internet.co.uk
    Quote Jeffy79 1998-1999 "if I had to buy one id get a p3" That was his story and he stuck to it. Loser.

Software RAID in Win2000/NT is fast - nobody can argue about that. I used it for a week or so, and one day my system crashed. When I rebooted everything looked normal. BUT...while i could see all the files on the striped RAID pair, I could not move, copy, delete, paste, or execute any of the stuff on those drives. It would return an 'invalid parameter' error.
    For less than a week it worked great - super fast compared to what I was used to.
    There are probably a million people who use software RAID without any trouble, so I won't say its worthless. Just be careful about the data you stripe across those disks - because it might not be coming back off. I wouldn't use it in a business environment, but its fine for home use.
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

I thought of an excellent way to describe software RAID -

It's like a winmodem
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F

(how did you think I got 1700 many posts? I make 3 at a time)

I have a modified (but untested) Ultra66 card sitting on my desk. It's going in my 'new' system since I sold most of the original system. Yep, the famous hoochcooled monster is getting upgraded and downgraded at the same time. Dropping down to 2 monitors as well (how will I survive?).

Thread Information