WARNING! SERIOUS EMAIL VIRUS! PLEASE READ!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WARNING! SERIOUS EMAIL VIRUS! PLEASE READ!

Hybrid View

WARNING! SERIOUS EMAIL VIRUS! PLEASE READ!

NEW EMAIL VIRUS IS ATTACKING U.S. GOVERNMENT EMAIL SERVERS!

I'm posting this to let everyone on this forum and others about a new email virus that makes Melissa look like a small sniffle.

My mother works for DRMS, DOD which is the Department of Requisitions and Management Services, a branch of the Deparment of Defense, United States Government. She was informed, as was everyone in her building at the Federal Center in Battle Creek, Michingan that they were shutting down there email servers because of a new virus that is hitting all over. I don't know if anyone has seen it, but if so, it's probably too late. She contacted me at 9:30 a.m. this morning (its 9:38 as I write this). The email has the subject line 'I Love You'. It has no name yet, everyone at her work is calling it the I Love You Virus. It basically works like Melissa in that it emails other people on your computer (your email list) but instead of only 25, it emails your whole list! She said some people were getting 45 or more copies of this email sent to thier email boxes! She said they were told that the virus effects your hard drive, corrupting it, so you lose all your data. Period. You lose everything. Sounds like a boot virus, but they also told her and eveyone else that McAfee is looking at it and they are having serious problems with it. In other words, its a tough son-of-a-*****.

Please, do not open any email or attachments with the Subject line "I Love You". Delete it. And tell everyone you know about it.

This is not a joke. Please take it seriously. I don't think its been announced yet to the public, so this is an early heads up for everyone here at HWC. I will let everyone know more as I find out.

[This message has been edited by Candyman (edited 05-04-2000).]

good thing no one loves me (j/k)

thanks Candyman!

------------------
    One K-club down, one to go
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

Somewhere between Purgatory and Hell called Ohio
    Thanks Candyman, I work as MIS here for a company so I let all of the employee's here know about it just in case. Has anyone else heard about this?

------------------
    -Goff
    -Goff

Yep...It's been floating all over the place...We just got a staff email about it....

------------------
    Michael Jarmark
    http://www.internet.com

These guys around here a jokesters. I wonder how many emails I will get from them with the subject 'I Love You too'?

------------------
    -Goff
    -Goff

Dam!! And I really thought someone really cared about me.....

(I've actually got about twenty of them today)

Dukcman

------------------
    Visit my homepage:
    Duckman's Wild Page
    Site Content: Overclocking, cooling and a lot of BS about Me, Myself and I.
    Sorry, I didn't hear you, I was staring at your breasts.

Oh ****! I got one like that in college this morning.

Title: I Love You

Message: Please see the attatched love letter from me (or something like that).

Thanks Candyman - now I can let them know (I also won't be opening it if I get it at home....

No problem, I hope this helps everyone out. Just remember to tell your significant other to word the Subject line different! I got a email from my wife about two weeks ago with the subject line 'I Love You', which I didn't delete yet (hey, she loves me! ) So when I opened my email inbox this morning after talking with Mom, I almost **** my pants, until I realized it was my wife's old email! Phew!! But I told her to use a different subject line from now on (and its a secret!)

This is the real deal boys, I we are getting nailed with it right now. I hope it is not a big hard drive killer. We have 400 people on the network and they are pouring in with "I just got my whole mailbox full of I love you letters" Oh ****.
    Poopshoot In 2000!
    I did not have sexual relations with that girl"Mrss Lewinski".

Hey, sorigo over in General Forum posted this link to a site that has anti-virus software. They have reported that they have updated thier software to remove this virus, which is called the IWormLoveLetter Virus. Check it out at www.avp.com

See, HWC people are good people, helping each other out. Maybe the world isn't going to hell in a hand basket as fast as I thought it was!

[This message has been edited by Candyman (edited 05-04-2000).]

I got about 15 of those a few minutes ago. I just deleted it all. They were going around the company.

Thanks again Candyman. I couple hours after I warned everyone about the ILOVEYOU virus here at work. Another branch calls me and said they got a virus this mornig. I ask them if it was the ILOVEYOU virus.
    "How did you know?"
    "HAHAHAHA, I know everything, that's how."

Well since they got it has come here and no one is opening it and I look like a hero. Yippee, Horay for Mark! Thanks again for the heads up.

------------------
    -Goff
    -Goff

Damn bug showed up in our building today. Does Macafee have a fix for it yet.
    This from our LAN guys.
    We don't know what it does besides this, though this is bad enough. As usual it works through the outlook address book - we don't know if it can use the notes address book.

It just surfaced yesterday so of course there is no stopping it with mcafee yet.

If you receive such a message it will most likely come from someone you know - they didn't send it - their email system did.

Do Not open the attachment - throw it away at once.

General eMail protection:
    Do not open, or click on anything claiming to be a url link that comes to from someone you don't know.
    If you receive a message from someone you know and it does not include your name in the body of the message then be suspicious - call that person if you have any doubts.

If you send attachments to people don't say things like:
    "This is the file you asked for."
    "These are some fun sites." ... etc.

Say instead:
    "Bob, this XYZ site has some good jokes on it."
    "Doris, this is the excel spreadsheet of the budget for fy01."

Always use the person's name in the body of any short message like this.
    Don't download anything that comes in a short generic message w/o your name.

-butch & jason

[This message has been edited by B/K (edited 05-04-2000).]

I just got it this morning too...

Q: how do you know nobody loves you?
    A: You don't even get a rampant virus.

My inbox is as empty as my wallet

------------------
    www.crosswinds.net/~areyoubored

Updated May 2, 2000
    It said "requires Windows 95 or better," so I installed Linux.

Thread Information