Questions from a neophyte to overclocking.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Questions from a neophyte to overclocking.

Questions from a neophyte to overclocking.

OK.....we all have to start somewhere and here I am. I have never overclocked anything except my coffee maker and have actually just put my first computer system together. Since it works I have decided to mess with it some more cause I figure sooner or later I can futz it up. When I bought all of the parts to assemble it I bought twice as many as I needed because I bought all the wrong ones first. Really would like to avoid some of that now. Don't mind spending the money to buy what is good but don't want to spend a bunch of money buying the wrong chit. I have an ASUS K7M, an Athlon 700, and 256 mg. Siemens PC133 RAM. I have read a little about the Free Speed overclocking card and the Afterburner. Don't really know what to buy. If neither of these are the right choice I would like to find out now instead of later. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    No matter how good she looks, some guy, somewhere, is already tired of her chit.

http://www.overclockers-network.com/...goldfinger.htm

Lots of them listed here. They all work fairly well the same, but are mostly shaped a little different. You should look at a few on their web sites and decide which will fit best in your system with your cooling geer and such.

------------------
    Check out the Overclockers Network at: http://www.overclockers-network.com/
    -Lord Gumby: Administrative Gear Head

thanks LG...I'll start there. Don't have any cooling gear yet but I figure I am getting ready to get in contact with Rotor to take care of that. He seems to be by far the sickest of all you puppies so far. I do have a spare bedroom to hold what he will probably recommend. Don't know if my local transformers can handle it though, since it looks like Rotor's stuff may cause brownouts over vast areas. You people remind me of the days 25 years ago when we were putting in 4,000 watt home base CB radios and getting complaints from people all over the neighborhood about coming over their intercom systems and TVs in their homes. FCC said we could run 5 watts so 4,000 seemed like a fair compomise. But this does look like maybe a good way to heat my waterbed.
    No matter how good she looks, some guy, somewhere, is already tired of her chit.

I do have another question about cooling though. It seems from everything I have read here that cooling the water that is circulating seems to be the problem. I have a big commercial ice maker sitting on my patio next to my bedroom where the computer is. If I put a radiator inside the ice compartment where it is totally surrounded with ice, will this cool it sufficiently? This thing makes tons of ice pretty quick. The ice that melts just runs out the bottom drain hose into the pool drain so I wouldn't care how much ice it melted. It might not be very efficient energy wise, but it would be easy to do.

That would do a great job! Just remember to add a little car anti-freeze to the water in your cooling cycle to keep it from turning to ice in the line.

------------------

hay Ducky.... may i interest you in one of these
    <A HREF="http://24.68.81.76/images/chip_chiller_images/DCP02196.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
    </A>

joking of coarce, i don't want you to go and screw up all the nice stuff you have there i wish i could start out with stuff like that

------------------
    Go ahead...... lick my BLOCK
    My page is here now.
    Go ahead...... lick my BLOCK
    This is my website

You may have been joking Rotor but actually I am considering one at the moment or the new self contained water cooled case you have at the moment. This is the beginning of a new hobby to me and usually I get pretty obsessive about chit when I get involved with it. Don't quite know what you meant by the screw it up comment though. Does a chip chiller screw it up? Trying to make up my mind if I wanna open this Athlon 700 yet though or sell it and open an 800 or 850 instead. Got any recommendations?

hum.. you'll be lucky to get 800-850 outa your 700. on acount the cache speed. i have a 600@800 1/2 cache, luck me. most at 800 have 2/5 or 1/3 cache. if you buy a 750 and up they come with 2/5 or 1/3 cache, so a 700@800+ 1/2 cache will kick the piss outs a factory 800. cous the speed of the L2.
    as for the OC card i went with the maximizer card. it tucks down behind the cpu and is totaly outa the way. and hasn't given me a hint of trouble.
    to see how far your 700 will OC go into your bios. disable your L2 and up the mulity and that will tell you how hight your core can go.
    good luck to you
    iAMDking.
    "Is it worth it to give your heart away, and live for a great period of joy, risking the chance to have your heart broken? If your heart does get broken, was it worth it to give it away? - Me"

I realize you would not have to change the L2 cache multiplier on a 750 or up AMD King, but you can change the L2 cache on a 700 also, so why the 800 to 850 limitation you forsee?

Thread Information