How to make a Linux partition?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: How to make a Linux partition?

How to make a Linux partition?

Well, this magazine just sent me a copy of Linux, so my lazy a** wouldn't have to move to get the thing, now I'm curious, how easy is it to set up a Linux partition on my HD? I have heard stories of how wonderful it is and wanna try it out myself. How though?
    -ram

------------------
    R.A.M.m.y.B.U.S.: Robotic Artificial Mechanized Machine Yearning for Battle and Ultimate Sabotage
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..

I bought Mandrake 6 way back when and it came with a free version of Partition Magic for Linux. Other than that, I don't know how to make a Linux partition short of formatting and letting the program do it. I know you can install on FAT32, but it took me 35 min to boot that

------------------
    www.crosswinds.net/~areyoubored

Updated April 23, 2000
    It said "requires Windows 95 or better," so I installed Linux.

wel pending what version of linux you got.. there is diskdrake. with that you can resize your Vfat{fat32} partition then make a new partition for linux and then a swap partition. if your fat 32 is larger than 8 GB or past the 1024 cylinder then you need to MOVE your fat32 partition down about 12 megs for a linux boot partition. it'll be hidden under windows. you can also go DL mandrke 7. then burn it to CD this is what i did.
    good luck
    iAMdking.
    "Is it worth it to give your heart away, and live for a great period of joy, risking the chance to have your heart broken? If your heart does get broken, was it worth it to give it away? - Me"

Thread Information