Alpha/peltier question
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Alpha/peltier question

Alpha/peltier question

For all you peltier pro's out there. If I have 2-3 50 watt peltiers stacked will I be able to keep them cool enough with an Alpha heatsink? The dimensions of the heatsink will be 100mm X 100mm X 40mm. I will have a 92mm fan on the heatsink.

I will be using the 50 watt peltiers because I can get them from MECI for $10 each.

I have not decided if I will use this with a water cooled system or not yet. I am just trying to put together some parts that will enable me to go super cold then I will decide on the exact setup. Any suggestions for a setup would be appreciated.

-drink

------------------
    <StiLl sLeEpIng>
    <StiLl sLeEpIng>

if you stack your peltier, you will most certainly need water cooling. Also your peltier should have a higher Qmax as it progress to the hot side (so you can't have 3 50W peltier stacked).

NiteOwl,

Even if I stack only 2 50 watt peltiers you think I will need water cooling? The heatsink I am planning on using is HUGE. I have used a single 50 watt peltier in the past with a far smaller heatsink/fan combo.

-drink

------------------
    <StiLl sLeEpIng>
    <StiLl sLeEpIng>

it might be okay if in parallel ... but I don't think your second 50W peltier can handle the heatload from the first 50W peltier and the CPU ... but hey, I am just gueesing here, so don't take my word for it.

So, If I wanted to stack the peltiers then my second peltier should be a 70+ watt one? Or I could try a 25 and a 50 watt setup?

I would really like to air cool the peltier setup. I am not overly keen on water cooling.

What is the most wattage from peltiers that anyone out there has air cooled?

-drink

------------------
    <StiLl sLeEpIng>
    <StiLl sLeEpIng>

If you want to stack 3 peltiers have one in contact with the CPU (or cold plate) with a metal plate, then two in parallel to suck the heat out of the first. you will NEED water cooling for this. (a 75 watt will not be sufficent to cool a 50 watt well, and a 25 watt will not do much on most CPU's)

------------------
    MooOoo!
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q

Thread Information