Windows 800 MHz Limitation
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Windows 800 MHz Limitation

Windows 800 MHz Limitation

O.K., I'm gonna' start wining here...So be forewarned.

I got my 600 Athlon up to 750, no sweat, on an Abit KA7 board. I tried at 800, both with memory at 133 & 100, increased power & everything I could think of, but no go.

I get windows protection and unrecognized disk errors.

I can boot as high as 773 with memory at 133, which is a nice performance boost...BUT I WANT 800 (wah wah!!) .

Does anyone know. Does Windows 98 (not SE) have an 800 MHz ceiling? I saw this eomwhere & thought, I'm not gonna' get near 800, why should I care. But now I wished I had, cause I don't want to spend $80 to upgrade windows.

Thanks,

Scott
    dfilANPARTY ut 250gb a64 3200 @ 2.52 (280 ht x 9) 2 X 512 g.sKILL PC4000 gIGABYTE 6800 gt
    Antec 430 truepower 2 Maxtor ATA133 8 MB cache Acer 52X Lite-On 1633s DVD-RW TB Santa Cruz - FPS surround LS120 O/B NIC Antec 1080 case

What is your Cas setting?
    Can you change the Dram clock?
    If your Cas is set to 2 change it to 3.
    if that is not the problem, see if chnaging the Dram clock will have any impact on stability.
    What kind of PSU are you running?

Hey, curious, whats the KA7 like?

------------------
    Please don't provoke the poor people..........
    Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

It isn't windows persay that does it// it's the "shape" that windows is in...In other words, does windows havta look thru 6 shortcuts to find what it's Looking for?? If you start with a clean install, and All your drivers are up to date, and All your Periphs are configured correctly, windows shouldn't pose a problem.

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

it's your L2 cache speed. change it to 2/5 or 1/3 and you be good to go. my 600 made it to 800 1/2 cache. lucky me. but will not do 850. if i disable the L2 in the bios then it'll go to 900 1.6V
    iAMdking.
    p.s. ifg ya need info onhow to change the L2 lamme know.
    "Is it worth it to give your heart away, and live for a great period of joy, risking the chance to have your heart broken? If your heart does get broken, was it worth it to give it away? - Me"

I've also found that the best cache will do about 400 mhz. 425 it's a little (ok, quite) buggy. On a 600 you're probably not going to have the absolute top of the line cache. it's not surprising at all that it would stop at 750. Look at http://trinitymicro.hypermart.net/athlon_faq.html to find the settings. (in a table about half way down the page.) If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, there are plenty of people around here that can. I've about 10 without a single one dying. Email me at jonb@resnet.gatech.edu if you're interested.

------------------
    MooOoo!
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q

Thanks for the prompt & sincere replies.

I disabled the L2 cache in BIOS, she still no load Windows. I get a VDX error message, so I'm sure it the Detinator 5.13 drivers that I love so much, but I'm not interested enough at this moment to change to 3.58 or windows default AGP.

SadPanda, the KA7 is a real nice motherboard. I won't start a war over the Asus or Abit - but I'll paraphrase what I've seen in online comparisons: The Abit is better for overclocking, has more DIMM & PCI slots, no AMR, more room for oversized hint sink/fan, really well planned board layout & easy to handle & install size.

The Asus is faster (we're talkin' ns here) & more stable.

My experience, though - the Abit is rock solid & well documented. The board has 22 preset FSB settings from 100 to 155 with various PCI/AGP dividers, plus you can increase the FSB speed to each of these settings 1 MHZ at a time to a max of 28 MHz.

The BIOS allows for selection of processor speed, but has always defaulted to the processor speed every time I've tried using it. When I get too aggressive, the board resets itself to default FSB after power down, so all I have to do is reset the BIOS selections I overdid (which still show according to my last selection) to boot.

BirLar - I think you're right on. I did a dirty motherboard upgrade from an Epox MVP3G5 SS7 to the Abit. I had planed to format, but thought I'd try deleting the device drivers from system properties just to see what would happen...The short story is a very stable system, but I think the 800 MHz barrier is the first weakness in this technique. I love being lazy, when it pays off.

Skrubol I'll check you out on the soldering. I bought a power boost overclocking GFD which has a cache divider as a part of the mechinism, of course requires soldering - something I haven't done in 30 years, so I will not be doing it myself, to say the least.

I'll just keep pluggin' along at 773 (Can you smell the cheese with the wine?) Sure appreciate everyone's input.

Scott
    dfilANPARTY ut 250gb a64 3200 @ 2.52 (280 ht x 9) 2 X 512 g.sKILL PC4000 gIGABYTE 6800 gt
    Antec 430 truepower 2 Maxtor ATA133 8 MB cache Acer 52X Lite-On 1633s DVD-RW TB Santa Cruz - FPS surround LS120 O/B NIC Antec 1080 case

Thread Information