Power for peltiers
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Power for peltiers

Hybrid View

Somewhere between Purgatory and Hell called Ohio

Power for peltiers

I am going to make a water cooling system very soon and I want to get a very powerful peltier. What would I use to power it? Why can't I just get a power adapter similar to the one that plugs into your cordless phone, or Game Boy? The one I am looking at now says the output is 24VDC, 250mA. It doesn't even have a cord connected to it, just + and - screw terminals. I know that one may not be correct but they make a huge variety of these adapters. If I can't use these what can I use to get 24V to power my Peltier?

------------------

-Goff

[This message has been edited by goffenhiemer (edited 04-20-2000).]
    -Goff

Goff, why don't you just use 2 ice-71s at 12v? -Todd

I probably will do that. I read that using two peltiers doesn't lower you tempatures anymore than use one. What it does do is keep the CPU tempature from fluctuating as much.

Also, I consider the ICE and Frost peltiers powerful peltiers. They would run better at 16V if I remember correctly. I just want to know if I have to buy a big *** power supply that would probably cost big bucks or can I buy a DC adapter that would cost $20 (if I didn't all ready have it). I don't know much about electricity but this is just an idea I had one day.

------------------

-Goff
    -Goff

the ICE and FROST peltiers are max rated at 16VDC... pelteirs run best at 75% of their max voltage load (at least this is where you get the most efficient action)... so running the ICE and FROST peltiers at 12VDC is exactly what you need to do

me, myself, i really want to find a nice 16VDC power supply (or a way to get 12VDC AT's to put out 16VDC when you strap them together) so i can just run a DRIFT-0.8 on my puter.... (so the pelts will fit between the screw holes on the waterjacket and all)

thanks!
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

I just want ******** what I am asking...

Can I use a class 2 power supply to power a peltier?

They plug into the wall and then plug into your cell phones, game boys, cordless phones, printers, scanners, etc.

Can I just find out which wire is negative and which one is positive and connect the peltier accordingly?

What output does a peltier require? On these power adapters (in the states) the Input is always 120VAC, 60Hz, 25W. What output should it be for a peltier? If a peltier is rated for 10Amps can the power adapter have more than that or will it fire the peltier. I know that too many volts are not good but I am not sure about amps.

Sorry for all the questions but I feel that I am on to something here. I have a feeling that it is not possible because no one has done this.

------------------

-Goff

[This message has been edited by goffenhiemer (edited 04-20-2000).]
    -Goff

Confusing question Goff... I have run an external PS, that is rated at 13.8v at10amps constant. I had no problems... As to the voltage/ 110v is what ya need to run these Puppy's at...As to the theory of " They won't get colder, just won't fluctuate as much" That be Horse Dung....True, with 2 Peltiers the shifts in temp aren't as much, or actually, they are almost non-existent.... but they do cool more efficently, and My cpu temps went down about 15c after putting 2 on ( 2 frost 74's ), versus the ice 71 I had on there... Also//I am using a 250watt Power Supply to power the 2 frost Peltiers,,, and it's handling them fine!!!! sheesh, who woulda thought.....

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

God I suck, I can write this out. Let me try this.

Can something like this be used to power a peltier?

------------------

-Goff
    -Goff

------------------

-Goff
    -Goff

Hey Goff... correct me if I'm wrong...but that doesn't look like it puts out about 200-250W ...no suree...not even half...and therefore it probably wouldn't work...also...250mA isn't enough...

------------------
    I Thougth I Saw A Putty Cat...
    * OCN Hellspawn *
    ------------------
    I Thougth I Saw A Putty Cat...

You want a supply that puts out the voltage your peltier is rated at (or close, 12v is good for a "16 Vmax" peltier), and it MUST be rated for higher than the current draw of the peltier. A 16 volt 4 amp peltier will actually draw about 3 - 3.5 amps at 12 volts, but you don't want to run a supply at 100% of it's rated output anyway, so you would still want one rated at 4+ amps. Last I looked Bunta.com was selling 250 watt(?) AT supplies for $15 (us). These are usually rated at 7-10 amps on the 12 volt output. On an AT supply, connect the blue and white wires together and the brown and black together so it will be "on" any time it is powered. Then you can plug it into the accessory jack on your PC's power supply (if it has one-120/240 volt jack). A 24 volt peltier will be a bigger pain to find a suitable power source for. You aren't going to find a wall transformer that puts out very much current---you'll need an AT supply or a supply intended for running/testing CB radios, car stereos, etc. The AT supply is by far the cheapest way to get 12 volts at 6 or more amps.

By blue/white and black/brown, I'm refering to the wires that normally go to the power switch.

Thanks for all the info guys, I knew my idea to use a class 2 power supply was too good to be true. I have a better idea what to look for now, thanks again.

------------------

-Goff
    -Goff

Thread Information