Water block holes??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Water block holes??

Water block holes??

Will the holes in the water block decrease the effeciency of the cooling. It was drilled to bolt on to a p3, and it was fine before when I only had 1 peltier because it sat between the holes. But now that I am switching to a 2 peltier design, I just want to make sure that there won't be a problem with the peltier's being over the holes.

Any one have experience with this?

------------------
    Nothing but the CHEESE!
    Finally... the CHEESEMAN... has LOST his 4x4!!! - My buddy wrecked it!

I should think it would be better. If you think about it, you are trying to transfer the heat into the water and pass it elsewhere so the sooner it gets to the water the better.

It's of course more complicated than that and a good size piece of metal will soak up the heat, (copper of course is best), so it can be raidiated across a larger area.

There is most likely some equation that will give you all the answers on paper, but I don't think you can't beat the "suck it and see" approach.

The copper water block I'm making is going to be along those lines. 1" thick, 5"inches long and 2.5" wide Hollowed out so it is is like a frame with a 3mm copper plate fixed on both sides to make it a "Water box" for the coolant if you get what I mean.

So in effect my water block will be a 5" x 2.5" x 3mm hot plate with the rest of it there mainly to keep the water in.

BladeRunner

Bladerunner... I don't think you understood the question. The holes are drilled to bolt on to the CPU. So there will be spots where the peltier doesn't touch the water block. I am only asking because I have it all connected, sitting on my work bench, and w/2 FROST-74 Peltier's, I am only dropping to -2.2c (i got that w/one before of another kind).

The hoes are actually under the peltier's.
    ------------------
    Nothing but the CHEESE!

[This message has been edited by CheeseMan (edited 04-19-2000).]

the worst part of your problems is going to be you knowing about the holes, other than that nothing really, if you really want, you can just fill them up with thermal past....

------------------
    My page is here now.
    Go ahead...... lick my BLOCK
    This is my website

Is it copper? Fill 'em up with silver solder.

------------------
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

I even switched them to their own PS's, to make sure that they are getting enough juice... and still no change. I put for temporary, to make sure that there was good contact, a 3/16" cu plate behing the peltier's and over the water block to make sure there was good contact. i just don't get it.

------------------
    Nothing but the CHEESE!

Right now, my setup looks very similar/ in the respect of the water block anyhow....Thing is, If your water heats up/// so does the cpu. Gotta keep that water cold somehow.... And as for the Holes in the block.... I just put a lil silicone in mine... works fine.

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

My water is 65f... I just changed it, and put some ice in it. I guess I'll strip down, and tyy it again.

------------------
    Nothing but the CHEESE!

Just remember that when you put 2 tec's in tandem, you are not gaining temperature, you gain power, you will find your setup to run at the same temp, but it will not fluctuate nearly as much as with only one TEC.

oh by the way any one here has me a nice deal on a ATHLON mobo & CPU, it can be used.

My Pii333 is in a much better place now

------------------
    My page is here now.
    This is my website

Hey Big Lar, I thought you said that you had 2 Frost 74's, and your's was @ -37c??

------------------
    Nothing but the CHEESE!

Yup... < 2 frost 74's on a cold plate on the cpu, and 2 frost 74's on an inline to cool the water.... I'm ussually at -37 to -42c...

Well Big Lar... that appears to contradict when #Rotor is saying.

------------------
    Nothing but the CHEESE!

Has anyone thought of using heatpipes to move the heat away from the TEC? Here are some links:

http://www.thermacore.com/
    http://www.norenproducts.com/Heat_Pi...roduction.html They will send yaou a sample

Here are links to two dielectric fluids, the 3M™ Fluorinert™ is what is used in the Cray systems ($18 for 5 gallons I heard).
    http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/...info/FC77.html
    http://www.shell.ca/oshell/tip-e/3-17.htm

Have fun.... I should get my sample in a few days.

I never said you won't be able to go sub zero with 2 peltier in tandem, hell I'm only running one frost74, and I'm at -40 too, the only down side of me running just one, is that my core temp can fluctuate up to above 0 when the cpu does something, and that is what I referred to. Big-lar having two on his cpu and 2 on his liquid-cooling setup, is actually cascading them.
    The ingenious thing about the way he is doing it, is the fact that he can use the same size TEC's, he doesn't need to go bigger on the 2nd area.

------------------
    My page is here now.
    This is my website

to get to your cold side temp on your TEC(in utopia).....

(desired temp)+(delta T of TEC)=(hotside of TEC)...

give or take a some very complicated thermodynamic conversions and flowcharts etc.

but in the real world that is more or less what it boils down to. in my setup I’m using a frost74(DT=74k)... so in theory if I want -40ºC on the cold side, I need to keep the warm side at +34ºC...which would be excellent if we where living in utopia.. but we ain’t that lucky......there’s "taxes" and thermal leakage and under powered psu's and all kinds of **** all over the place , so for me to get -40ºC I need to get -15ºC on the TEC’s hot side. Where the wattage comes in is when the CPU is starting to generate heat, if the TEC is not capable of moving the amount of heat from the CPU over to the hot side, the CPU will warm up. By using two TEC’s in tandem, each one now only needs to handle half of what the CPU can generate... thus doubling the Wattage of the rig.

By the way, if you remove the power from the TEC, it will act like a very efficient insulator, which is bad, but I came up with a way to use that as an advantage.........(still top secret)

------------------
    My page is here now.
    This is my website

Thread Information